Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Big project to be crossed off the list: the trees

On my on-going "frog" list I have many things that seem, frankly, over my head.  But I often reason with myself that Hubby didn't start out in life knowing everything he would need to know about managing a home or finances or vehicles or property or insurance or just about anything else.  He had to start from some point of reference, do his homework, and make the best decisions he could.
And so will I.
I love my home and I want to take care of it, so the first of many frogs to eat is getting some things repaired and taken care of.  Starting with the yards, which are not in good shape.  Last weekend, with the help of The Girl, we mowed again, edged, raked, and spread some grass seed.
I also had an arborist come look at all of my trees and give me recommendations for pruning.  Its going to be a huge job as Hubby and I had never had a professional do the job, so the trees were not being managed well.  
The oaks in back have exploded in growth and are getting tangled up with other trees.  Not to mention they are touching the patio and house roof and one of them is suffering insects and fungi and is too close to the house so it must go.  (You can also see a pecan tree on the fence line in the above photo - I will have to trim the fence boards to accommodate its growth!)
The front yard tree will require an extensive "haircut" that will allow for street and driveway clearance as well as allow some sun to help the lawn recover. 
Its going to be expensive, to say the least.  But its something I can save for, as they will be coming out in January.  Time to stop putting off these frogs and move forward.  Think how pretty it will all look in Spring!


Gina

No comments: