Friday, September 3, 2021

5 thing Friday - piles, purging, yard, pendant, Teddy

Thank goodness I got most of the cleaning and purging out of my system before returning to work...
******
Weeks ago Hubby and I talked about paring down some of what we owned in advance of getting ready to sell our house.  I won't say he was a hoarder, but the man never went through things to organize and purge.  So the task falls on me now.  
So. Much. Stuff.
I have made a half dozen trips to Goodwill and I have to say, I think I'm done with it for now.  Done with the piles, done with cleaning closets, done with loading and unloading my car.  And don't get me started on the state of the garage!  It will take me months to get everything done in there.  One weekend at a time.
I cleared out the office almost right away - it was too hard to look at.  We unplugged the phone that kept ringing.  Dismantled the desk.  Packed boxes.  And it did feel overwhelming. Methodically, I am shredding things and storing things and will eventually gain the upper hand on it.
Hubby spent most of his time in shorts and tees.  He hadn't worn a suit, dress shirt, or shoes other than flip flops since the pandemic began. So 99% of the hanging clothes went, and I have room in the closet to hang everything I wear with space to spare.  Would I rather have him back and deal with the stuffed closet?  Yes. But do I also appreciate that this closet doesn't induce an anxiety attack when I walk into it?  Also yes.  I'm going to patch some nail holes and give it a fresh coat of paint, too.
I learned how to mow and edge under the watchful eyes of Firstborn and The Girl.  I mulched my lariope, spread some weed and feed, and repaired a sprinkler head.   Next up will be hire someone to trim the trees, then I will powerwash the patio.  Looks like I will be staying in this house a while, might as well stay busy and get some things done.
I bought this pendant for Hubby for some occasion - anniversary?  He wore it twice and was annoyed that it tarnished so quickly.  I took it over to James Avery to get it cleaned up and engraved on the back.  It will have longitude and latitude for Highlands.  Then I will wear it I think.
When we go out to do errands, we take Teddy.  He hops right up into the front seat while I'm gone and waits for me.  After the first of the year I will consider getting a dog.  It was something Hubby and I had just starting thinking about.  We'll see...
TGIF


Gina

4 comments:

Marisa said...

I read about your blog from the Frugal Girl website. I am so very sorry for your loss and have been praying for you and your family.
I am amazed by the strength you have shown dealing with your loss. Please know there are people rooting for you.

Bobi said...

Your blog feels so upbeat in spite of the pain you must be going through. I hope you are doing well, just wanted you to know I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Hope it helps to know you have support our here in cyberland.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Gina, you are doing amazingly well. I completely understand having to clean out. My husband was a professor of English literature and had upwards of 10,000 books. I agonized over every one of them. I still, five years hence, will find something that belonged to him, and it tugs at my heart. You just have to soldier through, and in between purging, treat yourself exceptionally well. You deserve it!

Cathy W said...

I also read about you on The Frugal Girl. I lost my husband (of 31 years) almost 5 years ago. Been thinking about you and decided to look at your blog. Don’t feel like you need to do all the things right now, do what you feel comfortable doing and give yourself grace. It will take time to get settled (sometimes I still don’t feel settled. I did sell my house last year and downsized. It was a good move for me, I was ready and I didn’t realize how much the bigger house was stressful for me. My kids have been great and very supportive. Feel free to reach out to me if you just need to talk to someone who has been there.