Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Harvest

It was late in the season to harvest grapes, but it was such a weird spring and summer, weather-wise. What with tragedy at my house and all else, I really thought I had missed out on helping out my favorite winery with it.  So when I got the email last week for a call to help, I jumped at it.  No other way to feel normal than to get back to life, and Hubby would have encouraged me to go.
I grabbed a couple of bottles of ice water, put on my tennies, and left the house at 5:15 a.m. to drive to Perissos in Burnet.
I made it just before daybreak.
And jumped right in.
We  worked the Aglianico vines - there were maybe 50 wine club members there to pick.  Lots of couples or girl groups.  I worked alongside other people, but I was mostly alone and it was OK.
The vines were loaded with grapes.  We will likely not enjoy the wine made with these grapes for another 4 years.  {Wonder what life will be like in four years?  If I'm around I will have to go drink some of this wine!}
Pretty, no?  They can be devilishly hard to harvest when they grow tightly along the wires, so you get squirted fairly often with grape juice!  I was sticky and dirty at the end of 4 hours.  But I had a good time, and I felt healthy and strong enough to work hard.
We picked 9-10 tons.
I didn't stomp grapes, though. 
I took this photo and was sitting there resting, enjoying a glass, and who walks right up to me?  My sister Maggie!  She and her Hubby decided to re-join the wine club and since they knew I was there, decided to surprise me.  We sat at a picnic table, enjoying snacks until it was too hot to stay outside, then said our goodbyes so I could go check on Highlands.
It made me feel normal and was a good break from my house.
And I'm looking forward to more of that feeling.


Gina

1 comment:

cskies1 said...

I am glad to see you smile!! That's great that your sister and husband decided to rejoin the wine club and you could enjoy the time with them!