This started as an incidental project while I waited for the mower maintenance guy* on a hot summer morning.
I was out in the garage anyway, so I decided to do round three (or four, I lost count) of cleaning out the red tool chest. I bought this as a Christmas gift to Mark in 1982 while we were in college, and it quickly filled up over the years as he acquired tools. When his mother died, he brought ALL of the tools home from her garage as well. At one point, you could not close the top, bottom, or drawers.
(And there are smaller tool boxes in the garage that I will empty some day.)
I pulled things out, drawer by drawer and wiped down the insides of the chest and the handles of the tools with antibacterial wipes. There were a lot of duplicate items, so I only put back what I wanted or needed to keep.
Then I organized it as best I could.
And there are things I will donate. Like giant plumber's wrenches that I can barely lift. Multiple drill bits that match nothing I own. A belt sander I will not use. An extra electric engraver.
I access the top most often, so it had to be tailored to me and the things I use. And it absolutely has to be able to be closed.
There are still things in here that one day will go - probably to my boys. But for now, the bottom flap closes as well.
Mark's general rule of thumb was that if one was good, 5 or 6 was that much better. If an item had any perceived value, he was going to hang onto it. Most of us understand that if you cannot find what you need in the collection of things you do not have organized, it isn't as useful. Once you run out of space, its time to take stock.
More does not equal better. You either need to adjust the amount of things you own, or the size of the place you are storing and organizing. And unless you use them for work, how many hammers or axes do you really need? It was a sticking point for us, to say the least.
My garage may not be beautiful to anyone but me. But if you ask me if I have what I need and do I know where it is? The answer will be yes. And now there is room in this toolbox for me to adjust what I may need in the future for whatever project I am working on.
Gina
*And Mr. Berry spent less time counseling me about how often I need get the mower serviced, instead showing me how to do those things (cleaning the filter, changing the oil, making adjustments) myself. I would say it was a productive day!









No comments:
Post a Comment