Friday, August 7, 2026

5 thing Friday - cooking, trees, socializing, a coffee cup, gallery wall

Its been an OK week, overall.  I have gotten a few small things done around the house, read a book, worked on my family history, bought groceries, etc. and so forth. 
I've been shopping at Trader Joe's more often and making simpler meals.  The panko Tilapia is pretty good, as are the BBQ pork fried rice and the grilled chicken strips.  I haven't used the oven much.  I'm not as into salads as I was last summer, but maybe next week I will switch that up.
I had an arborist come take a look at my trees and make recommendations.  Of the four live oaks, this one I am most worried about.  This long scar is an actual crack from when the tree froze in the terrible ice storm we had a few years ago.  I thought my trees had escaped damage. It healed over the split so only time will tell if I am able to keep this 1/3 of the tree.  I'm trying not to obsess over it.  The tree company comes in a couple of weeks to give all of my trees a good haircut.
I met a friend for a beer and gab this week - 4 hours went by in the blink of an eye.  We went to a place where Mark and I used to go long ago.  They spruced up the place and were doing a good business - looking around I saw lots of folks my age and a friendly doggo or two.
She's the same one who gave me this mug!  I use it often and remind myself that grief and hope, crying and laughing can all exist sometimes in the same day.  Its nice to talk with her about everything.  We met 46 years ago as college freshmen at UT.
At this point, she's been in my life longer than Mark was.  He would have approved of the mug, and he did love his coffee.
OK, I finished the wall that was supposed to be a corner gallery. I changed up a lot of the art I had originally chose, opting for things that really spoke to me.  I thrifted some things, pulled some pieces from elsewhere, filled in with stuff from Hobby Lobby.  Its nice to gaze at as I sit on the couch, sipping my wine. Its gonna be one of those things I change up now and then.
Just on the other side of the front door, and it's prettier in person. And that's all I have for today - thanks for reading along and have a great weekend!


Gina

4 comments:

Cat said...

Your little corner turned out so pretty!

Pattie Tierney said...

I think your gallery wall turned out just great! I had a small gallery wall that turned out quite well considering I was working around two different light switches and a thermostat. A huge failure this week was a food plate wall that I put together and then realized that the whole “food plate wall” thing is not at all me, so down it came.

Granny Marigold said...

A friend from 46 years back....that's quite remarkable. I hope your large tree with the cracked limb will survive.

Joanne said...

Your gallery wall looks lovely! Having dealt with a lot of grief myself this week I can attest to the wide range of motions one can experience in the same day.. heck sometimes even in the same hour.