Friday, October 9, 2026

Big project: weather stripping and painting the front door

 Last week, my handyman came and helped me make sure the front door would close properly*, but it was far from where it needed to be.  For one thing, the weatherstripping was toast, but also the door needed a coat of paint inside and out.  It was time for a glow up.
I wish I had watched a couple of YouTube videos beforehand, but noooo.  Took me awhile to figure out how to remove the old crumbled weatherstripping. This was crucial to getting a good seal on the door - why had I not done this sooner?
I also scuff sanded and wiped everything down so I could give it a lick of paint.  The hyper-sanded areas are from the door rubbing MONTHS AGO.
After I pulled the weatherstripping down I cut a small chunk of it to take to Lowe's.
I also removed the brass kickplate, which I had hated since I spray painted it years ago.  A little wood filler took care of holes and dings.
And then I painted the white trim.  It might need a second coat in the future, but for now? Done.
The door got another coat of Modern Masters front door paint in this chocolate brown color called Sincere. While I was at it, I rolled a coat of brown paint on the scuffed up door mat.
Then I took a break for lunch!
"Welcome. Today we are serving a delightful salad with mixed greens and cabbage, tossed with creamy cilantro ranch, toasted pepitas and tortilla strips, cooked chicken, and avocado chunks.  You will be your own server. Tip well."
I was stalling for time as I had no idea how I was going to shove the weather stripping into the groove along the door (called a kerf).  But guess what? I figured it out.  It didn't even take whiskers.
and because I wanted to be "extra" I painted the inside edges of the door a beautiful green color, leftover from my backdoor project.  I called this a stopping point for the day.
Then I hung a new swag from Hob Lob. Forty percent off, so I added three white sunflowers and a burlap bow.
Yep, it all looks "sincere". 
I scrubbed the aluminum threshold plate, too.  I like the door so much better without the dumb kick plate.  And that mat looks almost new!  After I paint the inside of the door (white) I will clean the brass doorknobs, add a sweep to the outside edge, give the Toasted Almond trim a lick of paint, and add new window cling to the side window, transom, and dining window.  {One project at a time, Gina}
I had a mess to attend to on my dining table - that will get dealt with today.
Then I took myself to Jack Allen's for my belated anniversary martini.
I would like to think that Mark would be proud of me for all of these projects, but I am definitely proud of myself!


Gina

*involving a shim on one of the hinge plates

No comments: