Monday, August 31, 2026

Little project: the stereo cabinet

Last year I opened up this stereo cabinet and decided I would work on it.  Then I got nervous about the wires behind the components and the cabinet itself.  What a tangled mess!  In the back of my head, I could hear Mark getting very angry about me messing with it.  All I purged was the turntable, then I lost my nerve and closed it back up.
I guess I just wasn't ready to actually dismantle the whole system.  But he's never coming back to use this stuff, right?  And no, the kids do not want it.
Fast forward to Friday, when it was too hot to do anything outside.  I decided to finally remove all of the outdated electronics from this area.  I carefully pushed the cabinet away from the wall.  Unplugged everything from the TWO outlet strips, then went to town cutting wires and freeing things. 
Many electrical cords and wires were snaked down the wall from the attic, then attached to various things.  I cut all of them off short enough to stick back into the wall, and I will put a blank over it.  I'm not climbing around in that attic hunting for wires. The cable plug will also get a blank. And the wall will probably get a fresh coat of paint.
A whole lotta cabinet for not a lot of items. (it used to house a TV, too)
I had flashbacks to when I got rid of ham radio equipment. Not gonna lie, some tears were shed.
Off to the side of the record player I could set something to hold a few LPs. And I will go through those 72 cassette tapes and make decisions (most will go), as well as the 200 plus CDs. (I still have to pull them out of the carousel in the CD player)  All of the child-safe locks came off - why did we still have those on there? This cabinet will hold games and puzzles, and whatever else I need to store here.  Some day, I will just let the whole thing go. Maybe get something smaller.
But for now it fits right here.  Keeping this room from looking empty, I guess.  Between this project and the photo project, I am on emotional overload.  Goodbye, August!


Gina

No comments: