Friday, March 1, 2024

5 thing Friday - Mom's birthday, doorstops, painting, firewood harp, night guard, Spring

Today would have been my mother's 94th birthday.  She was a big fan of birthdays and could never get over how far she had made it.  "Can you believe I'm 93, Gina?  NINETY-THREE!"
Happy Birthday, Mom.  I miss you every day!

I finally paid the tile guy, put the disappointment of it out of my mind, and finished spiffing in the boys' bathroom.  Its not worth stressing over any more, and I want to tie up these loose ends.
It involved painting all of the trim and putting new door stops in, as the tile guy "lost" one of them.  That meant the other one wouldn't match (this is a small bathroom, after all), so I just replaced both.
I also gave the vanity cabinets a coat of paint while I was at it.  (here they are drying) I like to use a Rustoleum brand called Painter's Touch Ultra Cover latex, in a semi-gloss white.  Paints like a dream and cleans up easily.  I have used it on all of the trim and bathroom cabinets, as well as all of the closet walls.
After giving away all but two firepits' worth of wood (it was old and some of it borderline rotted), I decided to set the giant firewood harp out on the sidewalk, and lo and behold, it disappeared.  I might replace it with a smaller one next winter, we shall see.  I'm in no hurry to clutter up the back patio.
Fun times - my new night guard.  Its bulky and has taken some getting used to, but I love the look of my newly repaired bottom teeth - so I will give it my best effort.  I haven't worn anything resembling a retainer since I was 22.  It feels strange to be doing this at my age!
Wouldn't you know it, I changed out the flannel sheets for the new pretty ones, then immediately we had another cold snap!  Austin weather can never make it's mind up for more than a day at a time.  I am so ready for Spring!
To that end, I also set out all of the bunnies that were not broken from being improperly stored by somebody myself, and I added some pussy willow and moss balls to a tall vase in the bedroom.  Is it silly to decorate just for me?  Because literally no one else besides me is going to care about it, and I feel like that's OK.  I love the look and feel of my own home!


Gina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You’ve got some good mom genes- both my parents were gone by 74. I decorate for myself- Easter is less than a month away! I’m trying to make up a March menu- I have lots of produce I need to use and why oh why did I start sourdough? I had no idea you need to discard and feed so often and I still haven’t made a loaf of bread- maybe this weekend. Hope you have a good one- I’ll be working and hopefully, baking the bread! Nan

Joanne said...

Of course it's not silly to decorate if it brings you joy! It doesn't matter if anyone else will see it or care. The bathroom is looking fabulous.

Joni said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom. I still celebrate my loved ones birthdays as I think they might get a kick out of it and it's a good excuse to eat their favorite birthday dessert ;)
I decorate for myself, too. I have just one little quilt (wall hanging) and one vase (full of daphne, forsythia and daffodils) and a bobbily headed chick. Makes me smile every morning. Totally worth it.

It is wild weather here, snow, hail, sun, repeat. I am helping a neighbor's sister move into the local hospice house today. I will act as family liason/patient advocate for her only son who lives a state away. I have 3 viewings of my aunt's home tomorrow (I'm selling it privately for my cousins...30 yrs ago I sold real estate).

My Tireless Retirement said...

You had a great week Gina. And absolutely! Decorate for yourself and enjoy it. I do!! ;o)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You had a busy and productive week. I still have the flannel sheets on the bed despite the fact that we’ve had temperatures near 80° the past couple of days. It still gets cool at night, and we will have cool days on and off during the next couple of months that will make them worthwhile. I have a general rule that on tax day I switch from flannel sheets back to plain cotton.