Friday, March 29, 2024

My 10 daily essentials

 I read an interesting blog post that inspired me to make a list of my 10 daily essentials.  Nowhere on here will you find make-up or haircare, or even links to Amazon.  Its not that kind of list.  For me its what I need in my daily life to keep the wheels turning.  Please note, this list makes me sound like an old chick.

Which I am.


1.  What I wear at home - tee shirts and shorts with orthotic flip flops or my house shoes.  I have dresses and cute heels that don't get worn very much anymore, but occasionally I will "dress up" just to feel pretty.  Then I go grocery shopping, ha ha.  I sleep in men's boxers and tee shirts. No makeup, usually a pony tail, grubby clothes to work in the yard.  I say to myself "well, I'm not planning on entering a beauty contest any time soon".

2.  What I wear at work - scrubs.  The dress code in my hospital is that people in Imaging wear black scrubs, but we are allowed to wear print tops.  Instead of tennies, I opt for comfy shoes that keep my feet happy for 12 hour shifts.  I splurged on some Bombas socks and I love them!

3.  What I also wear - hearing aids, reading glasses, minimal make-up, sometimes more jewelry.  I hate not having earrings in - if I forget them it throws off my whole day.

4.  What I eat - I am doing my best to add more veggies in to every meal.  I hold myself accountable to my meal plans and I cook 4 nights out of 7.  But I could eat popcorn every day.

5.  What I drink - I have a large cup of coffee every morning that I add collagen powder and creamer to.  I drank black coffee for months, then decided life was too short to deny myself creamer.  I have a hard time remembering to drink water.

6.  What I listen to or watch - I usually tell the Google Lady to play Emancipator, Tycho, Stick Figure, or Jesse Cook, along with music from the 70s and 80s on Pandora. I have 6 smart speakers positioned all over the house. I have been listening to various Ted talks on my phone whenever I go for a walk.  I also got hooked on You Tube videos that feature cleaning and mowing.  Maybe they appeal to my need to get things in order...there's therapy in it.

7.  What occupies my time - Work, and home.  I work three 12 hour shifts at the hospital, Saturday through Monday.  On my off days, I am mostly occupied around my house with various projects.  I do also like to read and blog.  I haven't sewn or cross stitched much lately, so those hobbies are sort of on the back burner.  I'm trying not to introvert so hard, but home is my sanctuary.

8.  What inspires me - I'm not sure I have felt very inspired lately.  I am still fighting through the fog of grief most days.  I am focusing as much time as I can on feeling healthy and working on my home. That's really all I can ask of myself right now. 

9.  What would I grab in a fire - FIRST, my boys, who would likely sleep through the smoke alarm.  Then maybe my laptop and phone. Shoes would be good.  

10. What else do I need in my life - I can envision a day when I will want companionship, but I feel like I'm nowhere near ready for that right now.  I know that Mark would have wanted me to live the rest of my life to the fullest and not spend my days lonely.  But I'm taking this new life one day at a time, trying to figure it out as I go.  That being said, I do have some really good friends who have helped me through some dark days.

That's not a bad list, mostly complete.  I left off the obvious things like my toothbrush, medications, or my car, but I could never list every. single. thing. and you'd still get the picture.  And my family as the most essential part of my life is a given.
What are your essentials?


Gina

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the water one, the first thing I do in the morning is nuke water for 2 big yetis of tea (one with decaf green and 1 with peppermint). I let them steep for a while and then add water to the top so they are ready to go. It took a bit to get a habit going, but find I will drink them both throughout the day if they are ready to go. So....maybe something to try to get the water consumed.

Wendy in HTX

Joni said...

This is fun, Gina! Hope you don't mind, I answered the 10 list, too.
1. I wear construction stretchy work pants w/zippy pockets, t-shirt & flannel shirt
inside crocs, garden crocs, old cowboy boots, steel toed work boots & ugg slippers.
I have worn 2 dresses in 10 years, I no longer own dressy heals as I have broken both feet.
I rarely wear make up, wear my hair up in a ponytail, french braid, messy bun for work.

2. I wear scrubs. As a nurse, I wear royal blue scub tops/jackets over black or royal blue.
I wear Dr. Motion socks and dansko/hoka/brooks. I usually
wear a pair/bring a back up pair. 12 hour+ shifts are no joke.

3. I wear reading glasses, no jewelry.

4. I rarely eat outside of the home. I cook from scratch and take my lunches
from home. I do not crave sweets, but my mom (who lives with me) loves me to bake.

5. I drink 1 large cup of coffee w/collagen & creamer and take one 32 oz pot of green tea
to work. I drink in my sleep. I take 4 20 oz bottles to bed and
I usually wake up having drunk 2-3 bottles in the night.

6. I listen to audiobooks while doing farm chores, commuting to work (2 hours)
and we are watching old series (House,etc) that we have never seen.

7. I work 2-3 12 hour shifts as a fill in. Days off are spent working on my never ending list
on the farm. We raise beef and forage products as well as timber.

8. I used to love to quilt, embroider and weave. That was before my dad became
very ill, we built a medical suite onto the farmhouse, my husband and I sold our
farm to family and proceeded to run my dad's farm and his logging company.
Dad was an acute critical patient for 10 years and his body
wore out 2 years ago. 5 months after dad passed, my husband of 30 years
died of a brain aneurysm. My older brother died 2 months after from a massive
heart attack.
I bought the parent's farm and Mom and I live here, working on improvements
and happy, slow living.

9. Having lived thru a fire, I am that person who has a go bag, packed with
all of the necessary documents, keys, purse, phone gets charged in the bag,
laptop & small safe is next to go bag. Grab that and dog, cats and get gone.

10. Things are looking brighter. I have a friend who is scared
to death of relationships, we are each other's plus one.
A special day to me is a day trip to the beach or the mountains to hike.

I am too tired to do what I once dreamed of: become a Nurse Practitioner and
open a clinic on the coast to serve the under served.
Now I work every chance I can at my community's free clinic.

My daughter lives in Alaska, I see her usually once per year.

Kim said...

I'm an introvert, too, but like you, I'm trying to be a bit more social lately. I also feel naked without earrings...even though my hair covers them most of the time.

Joanne said...

Such a fun list! I don't really wear make up most days either and I can not wait for shorts and tee shirt weather. I would live year round in them with some flip flops if I could.