Friday, March 22, 2024

5 thing Friday - surprise visit, dinner, fudge, lunch at the park, cleaners

 My pictures loaded in reverse order so I'm just going to go with it.
At work last weekend I got a text with this photo asking me to come hug a long lost friend.  It was an amazing to see her in person for the first time in 6 years.  Then she returned the next day and surprised another friend and co-worker of mine.  What a nice surprise! It was happy, and a little sad, all at once.  She lives 8 hours away, but we text often.  She has managed to help me stay sane the last 30 months.
If you see my menu posts you know I cook dinner four nights out of seven. And usually I don't fix a big spread like this: cast iron chicken and peppers, green beans, baked potatoes, rolls. But the boys are still here with me, I have limited fridge and pantry space, so we are all vying for food storage space.  And its just nice to mother them by feeding them on those nights.
I don't consider myself a great cook at all.  But I can fix a meal that we can all enjoy.  And someday, I know I will be back to cooking just for myself.
When I cleaned out the freezer recently, I tossed three bags of fudge from Christmas - it tasted a bit freezer burnt.  I promised Scout a new batch to make up for it - Chocolate Reese's Pieces Cup Fudge with Almond Butter Swirl. I portioned some out for Bubbie, too, and I may have eaten a bit myself... 
A burger al fresco lunch tastes better when you aren't fighting a stiff breeze and little bugs.  I open the sun roof, play some music, and stare out at the trees.  I used to come walk the track at this park every day.  Now I mainly sit and eat here in my car, which is not nearly as sad as that reads...
When I dropped off the last load of stuff to the recycle center, I perused their cleaning shack and came away with some things.  Carpet shampoo, rust and lime remover, masonry cleaner, and lavender essential oil - all free.  After the oaks stop dropping leaves and pollen I will go back and get some free mulch for my landscaping, plus scope out the free re-blend paint to spiff up the inside of the garage.  One more weekend before Easter and this year is moving right along...


Gina

2 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

The chicken and peppers looks marvelous! I was surprised to read that you didn’t consider yourself to be a good cook. I see a lot of mouthwatering things on your blog, and I always love to get a look at your meal plan for the week. The fudge sounds amazing!

Kim said...

I totally get it about far away friends. I have a bestie who lives 5 states away and I would love to see her, but it's hours. I know it would be great to see her, but everyone is busy. I also know that I would miss her terribly. Bittersweet for sure.