Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday menus #55

I think I'm going to raise my self-imposed grocery budget to $60, just to give me more space in there.  If I were someone on a very limited income, I know that might be impossible. I compared prices for what I buy at Wal-Mart and they were really no better. So HEB it is.
I know some people shop at Dollar Tree or Dollar General for food.  I don't see how people feed their families with healthy affordable food nowadays - prices are frankly outrageous and the quality is poorer.
I know I sound like an old lady who uses curbside, but still... 

Monday - kitchen closed [we are eating freezer ham dinners from Christmas}
Tuesday - Salmon Patty with stir fry veggies {9 a.m. bank meeting, set out trash and recycling}
Wednesday - Chicken thighs, collards, sweet potato {Mark's birthday, finish up the trim in the boys bathroom}
Thursday - Tilapia, yellow squash, mini potatoes {review ham radios with Bubbie*, pay the house note}
Friday - (freezer) Navy beans with ham, corn muffins {thrifting and lunch out in Burnet**}
Saturday and Sunday - kitchen closed

*I'm getting the boys to help me liquidate some things - Bubbie has volunteered to research ham radios, Scout will handle photographic equipment and both of them can help me with other miscellany.
**It will be nice for me to hang out in Burnet for a couple of hours with no obligation to do anything at Highlands.

I think that setting myself a limit and sticking to it forces me to really think about what I eat and how I spend my hard earned dollars.  Plus, it helps me flex my creativity!


Gina

3 comments:

wolfek said...

I have to instacart my groceries because of my health. My choices are publix, winn dixie and aldi. I rotate between them. I live too far away for Walmart to deliver or I would use them. It's a game trying to get the most for my money. I admire your menus. I'm cooking for one so it's hard to get inspired. Love your blog.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I use Instacart probably more than I should. That is one indulgence that I allow myself. I spend a lot of time cooking, waste very little food, so I don’t beat myself up over this. I also order in food from a nice local restaurant for delivery once a month. I’ve already ordered in for the month of January, but today was the day that I bought my car, so I ordered in dinner today because I was so exhausted from the whole process. I cannot believe all of the technology that is in cars these days. I am going to have to take a class (I am not kidding) to learn how to use my car. I’ve already gotten a brief tutorial on it, but that’s not nearly enough. On the other hand, I’m pleased with the car.

Sadlebred said...

KEH Camera will buy old and used camera equipment. You can send it in, they will send you an estimate, and then you can accept it or they will send the items back to you. They've been around for a long time, have a brick and mortar location near Atlanta, GA. I've personally used them many times.