Friday, January 12, 2024

5 thing Friday - draft dodgers, shower refresh, headlamp bulbs, chili, recycled metal

I wanted to make some "draft dodgers" for a couple of places around my house which feel as though they might have an air leak.  Draft dodgers are nothing more than a tube of fabric with a filler like beans, rice, or cat litter.  I made my first one with cat litter because its economical. 
As luck would have it, the bit I trimmed off my bedroom curtains was perfect to use for my bedroom window as it was already a tube of fabric.  I think it blends in beautifully!
I reinforced the seam, used a funnel to load the tube up with cat litter, then placed it in the window sill.  Time will tell if its effective, but I already have another one planned for the front door out of an old blanket and I will make it much bigger.
Small project - doing a deep clean spruce up on my shower.
Will you just look at that caulking job!  (:  I let it dry for a full 24 hours.
I pulled down those Command bins and cleaned them really well.  Put a new bar of soap in here - I'm on a mission to use up all of the soap before I buy any more bodywash.  Scrubbed the bottom with Comet cleanser.  Bought myself a new body sponge.  Replaced the big command hook and added a  ring to hang the squeegee. Replaced a splash guard on the door.  Cleaned the glass walls.
Lastly, installed a new shower head.  I know these small projects don't look like much, but I am using them as reminders that I am capable and can get things done for my home on my own - its such a good feeling.
And for my car!  On Sunday I changed the headlamp bulbs on my car.  The plugs were a little stuck, so I did call Firstborn to get a pointer about removing them easier.  But once I figured that out, it was a very quick job.  Its a wonder I hadn't gotten a ticket because I had noticed I wasn't seeing enough of the road at night for at least a month.  Oops.  I bought a brighter version of the ones I had - I have gotten to where night driving is more challenging.
My crockpot chili this week was good and I think we will have the leftovers for dinner on Monday when we will be down in the teens at night.  Leftover chili always tastes better!  I usually include a can of green chilies in my chili and this time I also added a chopped bell pepper and all of that onion.
This is an old photo, but see the ridiculously long car pipe innards snaking their way around the wooden table on the bottom left?
very heavy

It was heavy, too long for the truck bed, and I have tripped over it several times.  I asked Firstborn to deal with it, but he not only did not, but also did not come up with a plan, other than "you could sell it for scrap".  I have wanted it out of my garage for years, but did not need another task, thanks.
And how was I going to get it to the recycling place?
Bubbie suggested I purchase a saw blade designed for metal for one of the old saws in the garage, so I stopped by Lowes and got two manual replacement blades for $4.  (the boys are pretty good at making suggestions...) Fifteen minutes of steady work and I had separated the one long piece of pipe into two pieces.  I loaded all of the pipe pieces along with a couple other very heavy auto parts, and after a fun trip* to the recycling place was $13 richer. So, $8 profit.
But now its out of my garage!
*it was unfun, but was only slightly terrible, so yay?
Happy Weekend!


Gina

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think these are small things at all! I am impressed by all you have done. Maybe you have inspired me to do a little cleaning/organizing over this long weekend.......
Kathy

Anonymous said...

For stuff like that car part, you could try posting on your area's freecycle facebook group. That's my go-to for stuff I don't want to deal with and is not worth selling. Or, maybe even selling for a minimal amount on facebook market place (if you looked at the tool part online, then you could have listed it at around that price).

WS in Houston

Joni said...

You are so inspiring!
I'm right there with you on doing the chores our hubs once did. I do not have sons, just one daughter who is very independently living in another state. I always have a private party when I do the hard things that are new to me. I have a wonderful mechanic who is willing to walk me thru most tractor and automotive issues. This week I installed frost free spigots all around the house. Next will be installing frost free standing pipes. I was not strong enough to hold up the roof/access to the pump system for water, so I tore down the old pump house and installed a better, lighter small shed over the mechanicals.Installed high density foam insulation to interior, placed a warming mat over the exposed pipes and will later do something more permanent. This has been bugging me for 2 years (pats on back). I took down a dangerous tree that would most likely fall and block the driveway, we're supposed to have an ice storm starting in a few hours, so my future self is smiling and will sleep well tonight.

Kim said...

Wow, I am impressed! Chopping through metal pipe, even with the proper saw blade, is no easy task. You are a girl on a mission!! Ps...love your bathroom.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Wow! I am really impressed with all that you have done in just the first couple of weeks of the new year. Your shower looks fantastic! Great caulking job! Those draft dodgers do work, I remember making them years ago to use in an old house I lived in that had a lot of air leaks. It made a difference. We have subzero temperatures coming up this week. If it’s anywhere near that cold where you are, hopefully your handiwork will keep that cold air out.

Jennifer said...

I think your "little projects" especially in the shower look great! It's the little things in life:) and they all add up to a big difference. Now, I really need to chaulk my shower!

Anonymous said...

Inspiring!