Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Not Exactly No Spend January

 I'm averaging right at $60 a week for groceries for January which is on track for what I want to spend.  Reining in my grocery spending will give me leeway in other places in my budget.  But "no spend" January did not go exactly as planned.  Life goes on, and so does spending apparently...


Here's what I bought, other than food and utilities:

$$ to Firstborn along with some thermals and beef jerky
2 scrub tops
2 printer cartridges
hair elastics
hearing aid supplies (but these were reimbursed by my HSA)
facial hair removal tool
2 Ring batteries
some supplies for painting, incl. paint 
2 saw blades and a scraper tool
2 new shower heads and a toilet valve
floor mop covers
3 spools of thread
new kitchen faucet
a T wrench (water meter valve key)
Plumbing/fence/car repairs, fridge diagnostics, and a haircut
thrifted books and two tops 
spray fungicide for the front door bricks


I also took myself to a get a beer one day, and had a meal out once a week, as per the plan.  I'm headed in the right direction, getting things done and making mindful purchases so I give myself a pat on the back for January, overall.


Gina

2 comments:

Joni said...

Geez, you're hard on yourself! I do not count work supplies (hair thingies, scrubs, shoes, compression socks), medical stuff, house stuff when it pertains to keeping the house running or car stuff. Quilting stuff counts because it is a hobby, entertainment and fun meals out, day trips and books. I found myself with quite a list of things to buy this past month, too. I did try to reuse, barter and sell to pay for as many farm supplies as I could. Yesterday I found a 3 gal and 7 gallon propane tanks for hooking up to my weed burner as I am trying hard not to use chemicals/sprays. A new tank is $65 and my "found" tanks cost $15 to recertify and fill. I did purchase 3 fruit trees this week and my future self will love the plums, cherries and apples. Here's to a fabulous February, cheers!

LaNell said...

Benchy & Pilcher are my two favorite authors! I’ve read them all….only wish there were more. I did a No Spend January, and did better overall….but life sneaks up on you. Purchased more stuff than I had hoped, but much better overall. It does make you stop and think before purchasing. I enjoy your posts. Thank you for sharing.