Friday, January 19, 2024

5 thing Friday - water works, sewing cabinet, warm cookies, home thoughts, travel

 Plumbing issues: low water pressure all around and especially so at the kitchen sink.
So I got a plumber to replace the property and irrigation shut off valves, and replace the pressure reducing valve, all out at the curb. (now to see if City of Austin will cover any of that)
Increased water pressure is a very good thing, and now I'm going to have the plumber check the water heater and replace the entire kitchen faucet. Meanwhile, Moen is sending me an aerator installation kit with a new aerator - for free.
I moved that big worktable out of the craft room/office and moved the small sewing cabinet back in.  Since I could trim down the backs of the screws with my new handy metal saw, I also swapped out the hardware.  
These are from a bag of pulls The Girl bought at Hob Lob.
Now I think I want to paint allll of the furniture in here.
Is there anything better than warm from the oven cookies and a cup of tea while you read?  These are from a Betty Crocker mix with extra added cinnamon, sugar, and ground walnuts - 10/10.  I added another couple bags to my grocery order.
I am mostly OK with paring down some of my decor and distractions around the house, but I don't want it to look sterile.  I am gradually thinking more and more about what I want to keep/use/display.  Less about minimalism, more about aesthetic.  Case in point is this bookcase, and by extension the mantel next to it.  Right off the bat I think the black speaker can go, more books can be added, the DVDs can go away, and some family portraits added. 
Maybe including this lady, among others - Muriel Ellen, my paternal grandmother.
We seem to have a lot Cannary history represented around this house.  But I have a family history of my own that I would like to acknowledge.
 Whatcha think?
Google reminded me of my path last year.  It was mainly central Texas.  Taking care of repairs and sale of Highlands, visiting Mom in Brenham/Bryan/Caldwell/Georgetown/Pflugerville, then more travel to Brenham to take care of Mom's home and finances, packing and moving Bubbie back home from San Marcos, and finally to Leona and Madisonville for funeral arrangements, etc.  I put an extra 10K of mileage on Subie. I would love for this timeline to represent something different in 2024.  Maybe some travel to places for relaxation, fun, learning, adventure.  Far less of that other stuff.


Gina

4 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You were a busy girl this week. I like what you’ve done so far. I am a fan of fun hardware, and those drawer pulls look great! I think they are going to make you smile every time you look at them. The cookies look wonderful too. Do you know I have never tried a box mix for cookies? I have tried box mixes for brownies, but never cookies. I may just pick up a box based upon what you’ve said here. Now I’m intrigued. I think you’re on the right track with aesthetics over minimalism. I always think minimalism looks so clinical. I think when you swap out the things that you mentioned (speaker, DVDs, etc.) You’re going to be much happier. I think those shelves need a little greenery, but that’s just me.

Kim said...

I love the new hardware,what an enchanting look! I'm also trying to balance a minimalistic look against sterile emptiness...and a love of thrifting. Haha...losing battle.

Joni said...

So many positive things checked off the list. A celebratory cookie is just the ticket. I was raised by a minimalist, then married a collector, now am back to minimalism and it is so relaxing to me. Don't get me started on my quilting stash etc. or my painting and crafty drawer. That room is going to get a clean out, too.
I love family photos and history. I am surrounded by books of family history on paternal and maternal, I love sharing it with cousins and their kids.
I have one shelf in my teak china hutch turned quilting books and finished quilty things for gifts storage - I change out mementos and have spent years scanning photos from family collections and have a digital frame filled with pics.
I hope you have many fun adventures and travels this year. You're due!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m glad to see you have that photo of Mammaw. I loved her dearly. Karen