Friday, October 27, 2023

Little project: painting my office

Long story short:
 
"Train" by Glidden, twenty bucks

I didn't feel much like blogging last week.  I would love to say that depression and grief are not still doing a number on me, but that would be false.  However, I am trying to pull up.  Anyhoo.  I did a refresh of my craft room/office this week.  
time for a refresh of these walls

Originally I was just going to clean and organize it really well and move some stuff around on the walls.  But then I discovered that the touch up paint that I used was not quite right...see the splotches?  I brought a paint sample home that was a very close, almost exact, match to what was already in here, and for good measure I bought a gallon of it and repainted the whole room.
before - why do these shelves not match?

I started around 1030 a.m. and ended precisely at 1 p.m.!  That includes taking everything off the walls and shelves and painting.  I used a pad painter to go along the ceiling and baseboards, took all of the switch and outlet covers off, patched more holes.  Putting it back together again took another hour.
that rack was overloaded, so some of the quilts got moved  

When I put stuff back, I realized that a lot of it could just go.  So its purged and dusted, not perfectly decorated.  I am ok with that.  There is a lot of potential for craftiness in this room.
 its quiet in here, too

I ordered a couple of mats for the frames that hold my college degrees.  For years I did not display them, but I find that as I go along in this life/house I want to celebrate? explore? all of the things that make it mine.  I love having a place to sit and read in this room.  The color is calming, and there are fewer things in it, which makes it much less distracting than it was before.
 eventually the furniture will be painted!

I rescued a potted plant that was languishing in Scout's room, but it won't live in here forever.
not fancy, but just right

Its hard to get good pics in here because its so overcast this week!  But I love that all of the walls are freshened and the space is less cluttered.  And I love the feeling that I am not too old or too inexperienced to work on my house and get a few things done, like repainting a room.
It definitely takes my mind off other things!  Happy Weekend,


Gina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! So inviting and calm.

Lynda said...

You kick some serious ass, Gina! I'm beginning to think that you can do anything. I love all your improvements.

Angel said...

I too, need to do some house refresh. We looked at a house for sale and I realized the most exciting thing for me was to have room to expand. Then I realized if I just did some decluttering, I could be happy where I'm at. I'm excited to not have plans this weekend so I can start right away! Thanks for some inspiration!

Kim said...

It looks great! I marvel at your energy, painting a room is huge job...

Lynda W said...

I wonder if you knew during your marriage how talented you were, or if you are discovering this now.