Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Things to declutter now

We're going to have our work cut out for us when we are finally allowed back to Mom's house to empty it.  She wasn't one to organize or purge, and she took a lot of pleasure in having her things around her to look at and admire and recall how she came to have them. 
Minimalism was not her thing.
And not that its mine, but I have done some reading lately and made a list of things to declutter in my own home.  This has been an on-going process and will evolve as I come across things with new eyes.
but I'm starting with:

*too short pencils, dry pens, dry Sharpies, incomplete sets of command hooks
*table linens I don't use
*books I won't read or re-read
*holiday decor of any type that I don't like, and home decor that has no meaning for me
*stretched out hair ties, clips that pull my hair, uncomfortable head bands
*essential oils I don't like
*kitchen gadgets I don't use
*emails and newsletters I don't care about or read - clean up my gmail in-box
*A complete set of china
*Expired or un-used spices, foods, and condiments
*chargers and cords that go to electronics I don't use anymore, and cell phones I don't use
*any storage containers that are stained, without lids, or smell faintly like food or the dishwasher
*multiples of mugs, glasses, barware, and all empty vases
*specialty craft scissors, and items for any particular craft project I'm not going to do
*the Empi stim unit 
*clothes that I find uncomfortable - same with shoes, purses, socks, coats, scarves
*jewelry I don't like or won't wear
*tax records that are over 7 years old, and go through the filing cabinet in the garage
*manuals for things I don't own anymore
*cards and letters from people who are no longer in my life (exception: people who have passed on as the letters may contain personal or family history)
*clean out both vehicles and shred old insurance cards
*keys that don't fit anything in my possession, and extra key chains
*random leftover hardware to furniture assembly or curtain rods or other things I might not even own anymore, extra hardware or tools that are rusted or have unknown use 
*camping items that are multiples, dry-rotting, or taking up space in my garage
*anything left in the attic
*clean out the kitchen junk drawer and be ruthless
*VHS/DVD/CD items that I won't listen to or watch

For all of this I am going to use the mindset of "If I were packing to move across country would I take this with me?"  I love January and the feeling of a clean slate and organized home!


Gina

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great list, Gina. I've been going through my house over the past few years, but it always seems to fill back up again. I think the kids used to bring the majority of it in!

Anonymous said...

Like !!