Friday, February 2, 2024

5 thing Friday - gardening, bricks, Topper, Mark's birthday, cuttings

 I have quite a few projects for my landscaping that I want to work on. Exhibit A:
Every winter the lantana "dies" and I cut it back, then it returns full force in the spring.  But for some reason the last couple of years its been super wimpy and is trying to completely die off.  So I'm going to start over with this area by emptying the bed, reconditioning the soil, adding mature lantana plants.  Here is the goal:
So beautiful!
Lantana loves the heat and doesn't need to be watered daily, so I am assuming that something else caused the issue.  Speaking of issues:
This fuzzy mold roars into life every time the weather gets cool.  You can sweep it off and it practically grows before your eyes.  (no its not efflorescence)  I have scrubbed the bricks with bleach, with a vinegar solution, with masonry cleaner...it always comes back.  But pretty much only when its cold out.  I ordered a spray fungicide and disinfectant from Home Depot and we will see if that helps.
The therapy doggo, Boomer, came by to see us on Monday.  He is huge and very calm and left behind a whole lotta hair.  We might have petted him for 30 minutes - he got a LOT of attention.  Every workplace should have some sort of therapy animal program.  Its nice to pause an pet an animal that you know you aren't responsible for, ha ha.
Happy 63rd birthday in heaven, Mark.  I drank a pint in your honor and enjoyed it with chips and guacamole.  However, I could not get even one of your kids to come with me.  So I sat outside and had a lengthy text convo with my sister over the state of mom's house.  Note to self: do not mix a fun thing with an un-fun thing and expect the fun thing not to lose its fun.
I re-potted Bubbie's sansevieria, harvesting a small amount of it.  Somewhere recently I read that dirt is not crucial to growing houseplants and I will test that theory using two spaghetti jars and these cuttings.  Wouldn't a whole row of houseplants in various jars look pretty in my office window?
Happy Weekend!


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I really admire you for going out and having a drink on the anniversary of Mark’s birthday. Going out alone to dine, have a snack, or a drink, is something I just won’t do. I’m a bit of a klutz, so I tend to make a spectacle of myself everywhere I go, ergo dining alone, in my mind, would just solidify that whole “spectacle” thing. I love the idea of house plants growing in glass jars of water. I have propagated my Sansevieria any number of times and I have found that, once it gets rooted (this takes a long time), it grows faster in water than it does in soil.