Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Crafting: handkerchief sachets

I was doing some minor cleaning and purging and came across some pretty hankies that seemed a shame to just store away.  Some were made by my mother and feature embroidery and crochet.  I thought they would make pretty sachets, no sewing involved!
This one was one of my favorites.  Believe it or not, we used to carry these in our purses, my sisters and I.  Such a feminine thing - my mother would tuck them into our stocking or Easter basket.  There's a blue one with matching crochet flowers pressed in my wedding album that I may have to repurpose - it was my "something blue" once upon a time.
I almost ordered lavender buds, then ran across an idea using epsom salt.  Its less expensive, smells great, and you can always use it until the scent weakens, and then just refill with fresh.
They were all clean, so I just pressed them.
Then I scooped about a third of a cup in the center of each hanky and tied them up with some velvet ribbon I had in my stash.
I spent about 20 minutes making several of these and tucked them away in my dresser drawers.  And I guess I could've used a simple square of fabric.  But these have an extra pretty touch with their pretty lacey or decorative edges!


Gina

4 comments:

Angel said...

What a great idea! I especially like using the salts instead of buying the buds. The handkerchiefs are so lovely.

wolfek said...

A lady always had a pretty hankie in her purse when I was growing up. Yours are beautiful!

My Tireless Retirement said...

Love this! Very pretty.

Joni said...

I pick up pretty handkerchiefs at estate sales, I use the more utilitarian ones for those "high humidity hormonal moments, ahem". The pretty ones are sitting in a project box waiting for the perfect craft. Great idea and I do have lavender buds (about 5 gallon bucket) from last year's harvest. I've been making sachets for all of the family members cars/campers/trucks. That velvet ribbon is so pretty!