Monday, September 28, 2020

Empty Nest Menu #58

We have been letting our healthy eating habits lapse on the weekends and my recent labwork shows higher cholesterol and 2 pounds gained.  Maybe cut me some slack for the pandemic and all of its ripple effects.  But we both need to get back on track, so I am doubling down on the food planning.  Starting with last week I also "planned" breakfasts to help make it simpler.  It looks like this:

M - oatmeal or cereal, T - 1 egg, fruit, toast, W - oatmeal or cereal, T - waffle with almond butter, F - oatmeal or cereal, Sat - free choice!, Sun - 1 egg, fruit, toast. 

Weekday lunches are leftovers, and Sunday lunch is a sandwich.

Monday - Mexican Chicken Breast with avocado and green onion, cilantro rice {order my produce box}
Tuesday - Tilapia, butternut squash
Wednesday - Pot of Beans (seasoned with bacon ends and pieces because I'm not a monster) with onions and peppers, freezer cornbread {going to Brenham today, chores in the p.m.}
Thursday - Grilled Pork Chop, brussels sprouts with carrots {grocery shop*}
Friday - Grilled Chicken, baked sweet potato, zucchini 
Saturday - Free choice all day - anniversary weekend begins!
Sunday - Sea Scallop Stir Fry with green beans and lo mein noodles

I still have some groceries in there to use up, so I need to cook those things (for example, those pricey lo mein noodles),  and we can't eat chicken breast or fish exclusively, so we have to have a bit of pork or beef now and then.  Dessert is going to be rare, as well as wine or beer during the week.  UGH.  Wish us luck.
*I don't know how Thursday became my day to shop but its as good a day as any, and maybe better than a Monday or Friday.


Gina

No comments: