Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Christmas in September

 I know that Hubby thinks I have lost my marbles when I start talking about the Christmas tree in September...But the last couple of years, I just remember feeling so over it by the time we got home from the tree farm.  So much mess, so much expense.  And it just doesn't make sense to me to have a "kid's tree" any more.  So I got him to agree to no tree farm, but I really don't want to spend ANY money on a new tree or new decorations.
From my stash I pulled out all of the evergreen picks that I usually use around the house, on the mantel and such.  Found the sparkly $1 reindeer and located one string of LED lights.
Then I pulled the "kid's tree" out from its nook in the garage and stripped it of its red lights.  I fluffed the branches and pulled some of them forward more,  since this tree will live in a corner of the living room. {no tree in the den will seem strange...}
With lights on and fluffed, I think it has potential. {This tree is ca. 1970!}
I turned off the lights so I could see where to place the picks of evergreens.  If I buy anything this year, it might be more of these, but I'm making no promises.  I think that once I put ornaments on it, it will be fuller and sparkly-er.
I wired the reindeer onto the top and added some random sprigs up there, but I'm not sure if I will leave that as is.  I'm tempted, though.  It makes me feel gleeful that all I will have to do is pull this into the living room and add ornaments and a tree skirt!  Let the holiday season come at me - I am going to be frugal and ready.


Gina

4 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Good idea to get ahead of yourself.....there is nothing worse than being rushed in Dec - that's when i want to relax and enjoy everything! I saw your comment about Olive and Cocoa! They have such unique gifts (a bit pricey, but you also pay for the wrapping). I hope you signed up for their catalog as they are so cute with quirky drawings! Have a great day!!

Kim said...

I'm with you! Every year I see these fabulous trees and think about one, but then I see our old tree and think, why waste the money, it still looks great. So I change up the accessories or the lights or add picks, like you, and voila, fabulous and frugal! Can't wait to see it all!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This is GENIUS! Some years I am really into it, and others not. Ever since losing my dad, nothing really thrills me these days as far as holidays are concerned. I do still put up a tree, but, like you, grab older greenery, fluff it up, and place it here and there to make things look festive.

Ann said...

The tree looks great! Good to start thinking of Christmas early...though I think this year the holidays are going to be very strange. I keep decorating for the seasons even though no company is coming...will do the same for Christmas!