Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Curtains for the Barn

One of the main things I wanted to work on last Saturday was getting some curtains made for the bottoms of these two tables in the Barn.  Underneath both of them is storage that I don't necessarily want to see all of the time - snake boots, first aid kit, and pee potty* to name a few...This little kitchen has everything we need, except a "cute" factor.  So I hauled my machine up there, along with some vintage flour sack fabric.
I didn't have enough of any one fabric to make all of the curtains so I figured I would do sections of all the fabrics - sort of a boho look.  And all of them were already the same size and pressed.
I spread out a towel to press seams on, plugged in my machine and my iron, and got to sewing while Hubby mowed Highlands.  The weather was perfect, so I had the doors and windows open and the music going - it was a nice way to spend a Saturday morning!
So far, so good!  I made one long panel for the first one.  Under this table are boots, the fondue kit, the pizza stone, and a plastic bin with extra water bottles and booze.  We won't have to access it all that often so it can pretty much stay closed.
A short time later, I had the other panels done - these separate in the middle to allow us to access the bucket that the sink drains into, the pee potty, and a first aid kit.  (notice the sub-floor which will eventually be covered with actual flooring)
I used tension rods and stretched them from wall to fridge.  Originally I planned to attach them to the underside of the tables, but the lip was so slick and too narrow for the tension rod foot to get a grip on.  I am entirely pleased with how they came out!
The next day we hung blinds from both small windows - the Barn is starting to look more and more like a tiny home away from home.  



Gina


*the pee potty is a safe way for me to go in the middle of the night, rather than traipse with a flashlight over to the pumphouse.  I empty it every week end and keep it very clean so if you didn't see it, you wouldn't know its there!

No comments: