Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Little project: bathroom windows

My bathroom felt very dark to me.
Part of the problem is the dark shades, yes.  But when I replaced them several years ago, I got a good deal on them, loved the color, and did not want white shades.  I was leaving the bottom of the blinds up, for light, but I most definitely did not want the trade off in privacy.
Because I do love me a bath now and again.
Also, please notice the solar shade flapping in the breeze outside of these windows.  It is dirty and torn, hung many years ago by Mark to help keep this side of the house cooler.  It doesn't even go across this whole window, though...and there is literally no view here...
Unless you count the neighbor's plank of wood leaning against the fence. 
You can't even see the yard.  And the glass on the outside is filthy with something like pond scrum, with loads of wasp nests between the house and the window.  It all had to GO.  I scrubbed the inside of the windows and all of the white tile.  Then I added privacy window cling to the bottom 18 inches or so of the window and was able to raise the blinds to that height, which is perfect.
And I love it!!
I can leave the blinds that way all of the time now.  I put clear command hooks next to the windows to hold up the cords, then I combined all of my soaps and bath fizzies into one bowl to free up some tub clutter.
It was overcast outside and I still hadn't yet removed the screen and washed the outside of the windows, but I loved it already.
I think I did a good job - I took my time and made careful cuts.  If I saw a random hair or speck of dust, I pulled the cling away, cleared that up, then sprayed the soapy water and pressed it against the glass again. Then I went outside and ripped down ALL of the solar screen and washed the windows.  I'm sure the neighbors appreciated hearing my commentary while I worked.
In this picture, the solar screen is down!  Even when overcast, there's more light in here.  This bathroom has not been updated in years but I will get the floors replaced this year.  I already love the improvement in brightness, tho.
Another little project done!


Gina

2 comments:

Kim said...

That looks great! It's a very creative solution and I love your wallpaper! What a charming bathroom.

Cathy W said...

Looks great!
Love when I get to mark off a project like that!