Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pre-Christmas thrift shopping with a purpose...

Each year the kids and I make a big show out of the last big present to give to Dad - the most special one, the one that is the best and most extravagant.  One year it was a bag of assorted hangers since he was known for pitching a fit about not ever having enough hangers.  The year after that it was socks and undies...you get the idea.  Always something he needs, and he gets a laugh.  And it's always from the kids!
 
This year, I am soooo tired of seeing him wear the same Hawaiian shirt to BBQ in - he has loved it to death.  Literally, it is frayed and falling apart and he won't part with it.  So I took a trip to Salvation Army and found four more like-new shirts to wash, iron, and package up for our "exclusive" last gift. Ten dollars for four shirts - a bargain!
But I also found some books for me!  Woo hoo!  Three NY Times bestsellers for about a buck each.  I read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick first.  It was really good - I can hardly wait for reading time on the couch each day.  So glad I got some new books.
Lastly, I found this vintage-y wire basket that just needed a little spray paint love and some cinnamon scented pinecones for the patio table.  I would love to say I gathered the pinecones for free, but I haven't been down 290 in a while to visit my mother.  That's where I usually gather them - note to self to go see my mother!
Sweet!  I do love a basket of pinecones, and some good thrift shopping.
And so far, it's been a great week with getting lots done!





No comments: