Monday, December 23, 2013

Mealplan Monday #90 and Broken Dishes

My mother makes the most beautiful things - quilts, and crochet, and embroidery.  If she had some kind of way to sell them, she would make a fortune.  But she does it for the sheer pleasure of creating something pretty.  And recently, she decided that her quilts closet is too full.  So guess who got to take a quilt of her choosing home?  Me!
I chose Broken Dishes, made in February of 2010.
So cheerful and feminine.  Like something out of the 30's.
It matches nothing in my house and I don't care.
I'm not putting it on a bed or quilt rack.  It's got some antique fabrics in it, so it's more fragile than some of the others.  It will be my own personal quilt for cuddling up in The Lounge.
I envision many happy hours here with my books.
What a great Christmas gift!
******
Monday - Stuffed Pasta Shells, salad, garlic bread
Tuesday - Spiral Sliced Glazed Ham, Crack Potatoes, Haricot Vert, rolls, Cinnamon Apple Pie, and the rest of these cookies
Wednesday - Chicken Taco Soup, tortilla chips, grated cheese, etc., Birthday Cake!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BUBBIE!*
Thursday - Brisket (from smoking on Thanksgiving Day), Bourbon Baked Beans, coleslaw
Friday - Pork and Peppers Crock Pot, garlic toast
Saturday - Dad grill
Sunday - Curry Chicken, mashed potatoes, peas
*For the cake, I am tinting a white cake mix green, adding mint extract, frosting it with fluffy white meringue, and adding crushed candy canes as sprinkles.  Bubbie's request!
******
My mother is searching her crochet basket to show me something she made.  On the quilt frame is a Sunbonnet Sue baby quilt for a future great grandchild.  Or great-great.  She will likely see one of those in her lifetime.
The doily at top is an antique - the white one below is her "copy" - pretty much an exact replica, that she figured out without a pattern.  Sometimes she is so smart, even at 84, that I am amazed.  I could learn a lot from my mother's methodical and careful approach to creating beautiful things. 





No comments: