Friday, December 6, 2013

Turkey Trot recap

Turkey Day dawned and it was nippy in the high 30's.  Brrrr....but I had my jersey and I was ready!  All those afternoons of walking and encouraging myself.  I was ready.
I 'aint scared.
In fact, I was pretty jazzed.
Scout and I moseyed through a giant crowd of people to reach the starting point, then I lost him until the end of the trot.  By now the sun was high and it was just gorgeous in downtown Austin!  There were over 20,000 people there; lots of strollers, lots of dogs, lots of silly costumes, too.
Around the 15th street hill I was wondering what had possessed me to think this would be fun.  But really, where could I have stopped and given up with that many people all doing the same thing?  And Turkey Trot raised over 300K for Caritas of Austin,  Read about them here.  It was as rewarding, if not more, than delivering Meal on Wheels for Thanksgiving Day, which we have done in years past.
Yikes.  It stretched out so far ahead!  And uphill a lot of those 5 miles.  I kept my head down and listened to Lady Gaga.
At the end, we were as smiley as the beginning.  We called Hubby for a ride home, drank gratefully the hot coffee he brought, and had a nice shower at home.  Then it was on to our own Turkey festivities.  What a great day!  And hard to believe that was over a week ago...



No comments: