Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Harvest 2022

 I have spent the last two Saturday mornings picking grapes at one of my favorite wineries, and although I am not planning on doing that again this harvest season (I think...) here are some photos from the first weekend I helped.
You start at dawn, because by noon it is too hot to pick.

Sunrise over the vines in Burnet, Texas.

There was a full moon which looked so pretty over the main winery building.

Everyone assembles, we all sign release forms, get a banana or granola bar, and grab some clippers.

Acres of grapes to pick!

Petit Sirah

A trailer comes by with giant bins and empties the buckets of grapes, then sets down the empties so you can continue.  Winery staff also come by and give you water and fresh cut watermelon!

Some of the grapes are fairly easy to clip, others get wrapped around the wires and vines.  By the end of the morning you may be sticky!  But we will get every last grape before we walk back up to the production building.

A forklift sets the bins of grapes out just so we can see how much work we did.

Beautiful grapes!

I think we picked 8 tons that day.

Once we are all back, we get a small pour of wine, the winery owner thanks us and we all raise a toast, he says a blessing over the grapes, then its off to a light lunch.

Nice and air-conditioned in a barrel room.

Another glass of wine and sandwiches to eat either in here or al fresco.

I chose al fresco!
Then I drove over to Highlands and showered before heading to Save the World for a pumpkin beer.  That was a fun summer Saturday in the Hill Country, but I am ready for Fall!


Gina

1 comment:

Lynda W said...

I look forward to reading your blog every Saturday, I especially love to see your pictures, you are such a talented photographer.