Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Big project: cedar chest done

 I never meant for that cedar chest project to take as long as it did.  In fact, I wasn't even planning on working on it at all, except I opened it to cram more stuff inside and found all of the destruction.  And once I got started on pulling things out of it, it seemed to morph into this giant stinky pile of sadness.  So I let it sit, spread out all over my garage for several days.
On Sunday I perked a pot of coffee and got back at it.  And with breaks to eat, pee, or cry it took me about 6 hours.  I paused and sent The Girl the photo above.  I was so close to being done but I could barely think. The inability to move and make decisions was real.  I had to push myself through it.  Truly overwhelming.  It was like the ghosts of the past and the responsibility to keep these things safe were pressing in on me.  I have a feeling that organizing these sorts of things is not even close to being over.  
I paused to reflect on this.  I know Hubby would have been overwhelmed, too.  And I think I have been as careful and respectful as I can be.  Its an enormous responsibility he left me with.  I did not take pics of the contents, but someday I may scan some things for my kids.
There are two boxes and a trumpet sitting on top of the chest now.  Those have new homes they will go to.  {And the things against the wall nearby are going out on the next big trash day.}  You can smell mothballs ever so faintly in here...There is empty space for storing a few more things my children and future  grandchildren may want to see someday.
But for now I'm done.


Gina

No comments: