Friday, April 23, 2021

5 thing Friday - energy, healthy eating, lunches, construction, cookies

I have gotten a LOT done this week.  Sometimes when I wonder why I am tired, all I have to do is look at my desk planner and see why!  I think the changes I have made in our diets at home have given me more energy.  I still have a ways to go, but it hasn't been all that hard to adapt to lower salt, less beef, less refined sugar/rice/potatoes, no sugary coffee creamer, no processed foods, and more veggies and whole grains.  I also sleep better - go figure.
I haven't had ANY fast food breakfast on the way to work in months.  My go to breakfast is whole grain cereals with almond milk.  I pack a snack of almonds or cheese stick for my pocket at work.  When 2 p.m. hits, I am ready to LUNCH.
A favorite of mine is Albacaore tuna.  You can mix it up with all kinds of chopped things (this version has apples, sliced almonds, and red onion, with some avocado oil mayo), or a deconstructed "salad" with chopped veggies and chick peas.  Crackers are a once-in-a-while thing, not a regular item.
And I am back to eating outside at work.
The views in the back of the hospital are very peaceful.  I don't know why there aren't more folks out here.  Occasionally I will see patients out here, too.  This is a million times better than our sad breakroom.
The other side of the building has big things going on.  This looks out of our waiting room window to what used to be the employee parking lot. Next week they will be putting finishing touches on the new medical building and a parking garage out here.  Construction on the side of the building is for another bed tower.  And in North Austin, my employer is building a smaller pedi hospital - one I hope to transfer to and commute to from Burnet.  Austin is growing.
In order to give us a small treat, I made up some freezer cookie dough like I used to do.  A couple of cookies make a small dessert mid-week.  This batch is oatmeal - one half with craisins, the other with chocolate chips.  I could easily add in a tablespoon of almond butter or some cinnamon, too.  Wrapped in plastic, into the freezer they go.  I cut off slices and lay them frozen on a baking sheet, then put into a cold oven.  I set it at 350 for 15 minutes, and they are perfect.
Its about the only treat we allow ourselves if you don't count wine - ha!  I know its sugary and all, but compared to the amount of sugar I was eating before, this is nothing.  It makes the house smell good and is something to look forward to.  
Just like the weekends - AMEN!
Have a good weekend,


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am impressed! You did accomplish a lot in one week, changing eating habits is a HUGE one. So glad that you have more energy and are getting more sleep.