Friday, August 7, 2020

Five thing Friday - work lately, Tex Mex breakfast, plants, shrubs, cooking

Things at the hospital may be slowing, patient-wise, but the march of "progress" moves on.  Work has a very different feel, overall.
The view from the door leading out to what was once our employee parking lot is now pretty full of a building in progress.  We can have our hours cut but there's still money for construction.
Ironic.
And even though they say we are not busy enough to justify all of us on the clock during the day,  by the time I get home and relax a little, my legs and feet still ache.  Somehow I manage to stay busy and wear myself out - is that a good thing?  I would hate just sitting in a chair all day.
Which is pretty much what Hubby does.  Especially if my desk faced a corner of my wife's sewing and crafting room...I don't think that working from home is doing him any favors.  He isn't getting getting enough interaction with other humans and he isn't exercising and I am done nagging about it.
The first thing I thought of when I saw this meme was my boss asking me, back in 2015, where I saw myself in 5 years as he was basically marginalizing my contributions.  Wonder if he saw himself hanging on to his own job for dear life in 2020?  I remember telling him that I planned on doing exactly what I am doing right now - working hard.  Boom.  I actually got it correct.
OK enough of all that.
I underestimated the time it would take to get my tires rotated one morning this week, and with the extra time I took myself to breakfast and it was delightful.  {Tex-mex is my go-to breakfast!}  This is a tiny restaurant with good service and decent food just trying to make a go of it in these weird times we are in.  I had the machacado migas, beans, and potatoes with homemade tortillas. YUM.  I will return with Hubby in tow.
My mother gave me these airplane baby cuttings from her row of them along her garage.  I have only ever planted them in pots, but she has managed to use them as a border.  Hopefully I can keep from killing these - I haven't had much luck with the last two or three airplane plants!  I will let them sprout some roots first, in my fancy margarita glass for good luck, then find a place for them in a sunny window.
I am going to rip out the salvia in the front beds and add more hawthorn bushes, clean all of the late spring leaves out of the beds and mulch the whole thing.  I am aiming for a cleaner landscape that will look better from the street.  That's on my list of things to do this weekend.
Tried and true comfort food dinner last night:  Cowboy Casserole with a side order of brussels sprouts.  I prep the meals in the morning and either Hubby puts them on to cook, or I plate it up.  I haven't really felt like cooking all that much lately, but I really believe we need to stay in some sort of routine with dinners and not just give up and eat take-out during the week.  I am still ordering veggies from Imperfect and I think we are doing a good job of balancing the healthy with the delicious and keeping our food budget within a reasonable range.  
Maybe the title of this post should have been "trying to handle the summer doldrums"...things seem dreary.  I am so ready for cooler temps and happier times.


Gina



No comments: