Friday, May 29, 2020

Feeding us

Wednesday when I got home from visiting my mother in Brenham, I was thrilled to have leftovers from Sunday to serve us for dinner.  And that's how it seems to be going lately - its hard to cook for just two, so every meal seems like it will feed four or more.  Usually, I package up the leftovers from a meal and zap them into the freezer straightaway for future meal or a lunch for work.  Since I have been hating grocery shopping amid the whole pandemic, I've been able to stretch the food we have here.  Like I say, its just two people, and I can get pretty creative at times.
I was too tired to even finish dinner!

I'm not sure if I should set routine menus going forward.  It sounds and looks like we are eating the same things most of the time.  I am still ordering fresh fruits and veggies from Imperfect and the variety of that is contingent on whatever they have.  I'm getting a little weary of the daily dinner prep but its nice to come home to a plate of food all ready to heat up and there is no mess since I also clean the kitchen before I leave the house.  Its just easier that way.  On nights that I don't cook, one of us will pick something up.  And although Hubby says "cooking is fun", he isn't doing any of it.  So I think that we will also start up grilling again, as that is his forte. 
Next week's menus have already been planned out and I'll just leave them be.  But I might start documenting more of what we ate, not what we plan to eat.  I think I should also start a rudimentary grocery budget and really look at what we are eating.  I would like to go back to eating more fresh fish and less red meat for a start.  I hear news that the grocery supply situation is going to get dire, but I don't actually see evidence of that in the store.  And I think the time has come to stop all of the "comfort eating" here.
How is all the food preparation going for you?


Gina

No comments: