Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A dose of mama time

I went to see my mother today, hence the late post.  I haven't gone to see her since the middle of February, and previous to that, I was seeing her at the least once per month.  She lives a couple of hours away, so I was often taking a day off work to go check on her.  
 The time had come for me to see her.  Neither one of us is sick or has any Covid symptoms.  And I am at my limit of patience with everyone having to hide in their homes.  There's no crisis in Austin.
I got her grocery list and stopped at HEB on the way in.  Along with her things, I picked up some rotisserie chicken and a bagged Caesar salad with a big avocado, some Hawaiian rolls, and a sweet treat for dessert.  I also bought her some gin and ruby red grapefruit juice for Mother's Day - she loves Salty Dogs!  Once we had visited in her sewing room a bit, we enjoyed a nice lunch.
We talked about everything and nothing.  I was cheered to see that she has a full pantry, fridge, and freezer.  She is doing well financially, physically, and mentally.  Big sigh of relief to see that in person.  Even Gus seems to be doing well for a 12 year old, and I am glad she has him for constant companionship.  The minute she saw me she said "oh, I wish I could hug you".  It makes me tear up to think of it.
 I cut her hair and cleaned up the kitchen.  Then she served up our dessert:  a big piece of chocolate cake with dulce de leche ice cream. 
 It sure hit the spot.  Afterwards, we walked around her garden so she could show me everything, and we gathered two more eggs from the chickies.  I came home with a big purple onion, some fresh green beans, and 12 large fresh eggs.  
I think her haircut came out OK - looks like it always has, just shorter!  She has lots of cowlicks and I am not used to cutting female heads...  I've noticed that, as my hair thins, cowlicks are making their appearance on my head, too.
She let me go through her fabric to find something to make into curtains for the barn.  They don't have to be fancy - I was going to use burlap - but I think I will use these flour sacks instead.  They are cheery and pretty and will remind me of her.  I feel a little annoyed at being gypped of two months I could have been checking on and helping my mother.  I was careful to wash my hands and wipe down all of the things from the grocery store.  And I ended up giving her that hug.
I will not wait 2 more months to revisit!


Gina

No comments: