Friday, May 15, 2020

5 thing Friday - lockers, cacti, the great outdoors, spices, eating,

We moved the set of lockers we had at Camp Rustown, thinking they would be good for dry storage at Highlands, and they fit the space perfectly.  We have it a new coat of green enamel - here they are loaded, with the second coat drying.
I ordered some stick on chalk labels and a chalk pen to label them so we don't have to open each door to discover where things are!  The barn is coming along as a guest cottage.  Last weekend we bought a portable A/C and removed the window unit that was LOUD and inefficient.  Next up: sewing curtains.
 Last year I planted lantana in the tractor tire under the Highlands sign and it promptly died.  I dug it up and plopped a hunk of prickly pear in there and it took off and is blooming!  There are small rocks at the base of the cactus to discourage weeds, and Hubby put a solar light that shines down on the sign.  Looks pretty at night when we are coming along the drive.
 Its still cool enough for firepits even though the days say summer.  I'm sad that we missed out on Spring, but we have quite a bit of putsey projects to work on up here - no time to be bored or sad on the weekend.  Case in point:  
Now that that the bluebonnets are gone, we have lots of mowing to do.
 I cleaned out the spice cabinet at home and combined some random things to make seasonings for cooking at Highlands.  Now that I have a kitchen space to meal prep and store things, should be easier to whip up something easy and good to eat.  
I bought a pegboard basket for spices and a small bottle of olive oil for this space, so I consider it complete.  We can store canned goods in the locker for easy meals, just in case of Zombie Apocalypse, you know.
Hooray me for sticking to the oatmeal routine, even as I know Hubby and I aren't losing any weight.  I add nuts and dried fruit to mine, with a touch of honey.  It makes up for lunches like this:
That's got to be a half pound of BBQ brisket and I felt like a slug all afternoon, but it sure was good!  The weekend is here again - time to make out my list of things to do.  And I want to start planning a "family reunion" for getting all of our peeps together in the summer.


Gina

2 comments:

Beyda'nın Kitaplığı said...

Evde yemek yapmak çok güzel. Baharatları bende çok seviyorum.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Random spices? RANDOM? You are a wild woman at heart, I can jut tell. ;-)