Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Learning to cook for two...again

I'm still figuring out this "cooking for two" thing.  You wouldn't think it would be so difficult.  I mean, I did it for years before we had kids and I was cooking for a house full of folks.  And you might also assume its cheaper to shop for two, but I haven't notice a huge downturn in spending, and that's probably because I am feeding us slighter higher quality food.  Hubby and I still aren't dropping much weight, but I feel like we are focusing more on eating healthy foods overall - more veg, less red meat, and no junk food.  I still miss coffee creamer after all these months, but I have held the line!
One of my favorite things to prep is a dinner salad, using romaine, fresh tomatoes, some kind of cheese, and bits and bobs of other veggies.  Since I don't buy the Imperfect Produce boxes any more, I have to make sure to pick up plenty of fresh veggies at the store and USE THEM on a daily basis.  Meal prep takes more time when you are factoring in all of the fresh stuff.  But if I give it a few minutes each morning it is manageable - its done in the morning, all I do in the evening is heat it up.
Also, I invested in some glass containers for packing our lunches in.  I've been buying frozen steamable veggies and layering up in a bowl.  In goes veggie and some sliced chicken or pork from my grilling at Highlands.  Or, I will cook a meal like I was doing for four people, and just serve and store the leftovers right away for a future lunch.  I try to pack a fruit and cottage cheese to go along with, as well as something I can keep in my pocket to keep me out of trouble at the gift shop. 
Who knew that cooking for two required as much, if not more, prep for two people as it did for six?




No comments: