Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Grillin' plans

With Bubbie headed off to college there will only be two of us to feed - a thing that hasn't happened in 29 years!  I don't know if I even remember cooking for two - I mean, what in the world did we eat?  And as our numbers grew, I probably relied on casseroles a little too much over the years - but they seem to stretch a protein for a family of six.  Nowadays, Hubby gets off work earlier than I do, but I don't want him to have to whip up some gourmet meal for me since I don't get home until close to 8 p.m.   
Its time to rethink our meals!
 I came up with a plan that I think will simplify dinners a couple times a week - a protein, a veggie, done.  And what better way to get a tasty entree than to grill it?  I bought a package of thick cut pork chops and a couple of packages of chicken breasts.  I also "found" a pork tenderloin in the freezer from Easter!  I divided and marinated the meats, then froze them in containers for the weekend trip to Highlands. {I pounded the chicken breasts to get an even thickness - a tip from Plain Chicken.}
There are nice big spaces for me to set out my grilling project at Highlands.  Hubby got the coals going and I did the grillin' - another thing I haven't done in years.  At our first house, we had a very small patio with a gas grill and a hibachi and I cooked out at least once a week.
This grill is much bigger and has the added benefit of me being able to add wood chips to a smoker box.  But, we also have an electric smoker out here for big batches of things, so I might try my hand at that this Fall, too.  For this weekend, though, I grilled Greek chops, rib rub chops, the tenderloin which was marinated in worchestershire and seasonings (I think)...
 ...and some balsamic fig and rosemary chicken breasts. 
Everything smelled so good!  I cooled it all off, packed it up in portions in quart sized freezer zip locs, and stored it in the barn's fridge until time to go.  As soon as we got home it went right into the freezer.  I figure I can grill once a month for Fall and we will end up with a nice stash of things to eat, even when it feels too cold out to grill.  There is plenty of space in my freezer.  Once I know how this works, I will report back!  I already have plans for that tenderloin...
Whatcha think? Any suggestions for me?


No comments: