Friday, July 14, 2023

5 thing Friday - door spiff, summer dinner, reading, guitars. pie

In addition to painting the back door, I also replaced the door sweep on the screen door.  There's still a small gap, but compared to the way it was before, I'm OK with it because it looks and functions better, even with the gap.
The entire screen door was wiped down as well.  A cleaning project I never really think about.
I am loving summer dinner salads of all kinds.  This one had romaine, olives, cucumber, avocado, cut up chicken strips, croutons, and a drizzle of bleu cheese dressing.  Super easy, cool, maybe nutritious.
My latest Goodwill run netted me two books to read.  It was suggested to me that I go back and re-read all the books I had on grieving.  Well, oops, I have already donated those.  Lucky for me there are resources on-line.  This site is one of my favorites.
Long story short: Bubbie will soon be home from college for a bit.  Since his room and closet had become something of a storage area, I cleaned it up, moving the black and white chair into The Lounge (aka my office) and I now have a cozy place to sit and read or stitch.  Or drink my morning coffee.  Or talk to the counselor on the phone. Or listen to podcasts.
Two of the items I removed from Bubbie's closet were Mark's mandolin and a folk guitar.  I have an appointment this morning at a music store to see about selling them. Mark picked up new hobbies on the regular and sometimes only for a hot minute.   They are in mint condition and belong in the hands of someone who will use them.
I relaxed my "no oven" rule because I was craving pie!

Coconut Pie
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 can evaporated milk
1/2 stick very soft butter
1/2 t. vanilla
dash salt
4 oz. grated coconut
Mix it all and pour into an unbaked pie shell, 350 for about an hour, but check around the 50 minute mark.  Cool, store in the fridge.
Happy weekend,


Gina

5 comments:

Kim said...

Mmmm...pie. I've been trying to lay off the sweets, but summertime was made for pie. This one looks good. I love your chair, too. The pattern is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Cutting for Stone was recommended by one of the church members back home. I had never heard of the author before.

Anonymous said...

The coconut pie looks amazing! I admire how you’re able to let things go/declutter. I’m having a hard time letting go of my sons’ elementary writings, drawings, report cards, etc. They are 22 and 25. I’m going to put the last of their favorite books in a little free library. Why is it so hard? I’ve been taking photos of the best things, but I still want to keep it all even though I never open the boxes. Susan

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

That pie looks amazing! I have done no baking at all the past week because my air conditioner went out. It got up to 87° in the house with 56% humidity. I did little else but lie on the bed under the fan. Fortunately, all is now well, everything repaired, it’s nice and cool (in fact, I feel chilly), so this week I plan on baking. I may just give this a try. I love Coconut.

As far as revisiting the books on grief. I don’t know that I would be inclined to do that. To me, that seems like a step backwards. You’ve read the books, you know the content, it’s time to take a step forward. Just my opinion

Lisa B said...

Gina give yourself some grace. It has only been 2 years. I went through this losing my Dad 2 yrs ago which I still break down over (he hung the moon for me) and a friend lost her husband 8 yrs ago. It was rough for her for 3-4 years. Now she remembers him more fondly than the all encompassing angst. It may not be your identity but it is a part of your story. Share as much or as little as you wish. I for one will read your Blog either way.