Friday, July 28, 2023

5 thing Friday - iced coffee, clean bathroom, punch needle, mom, grouchy me

I made a copy cat version of Mojo Coffee's Almond Joy iced coffee.  Instant coffee, a teaspoon each of cocoa and powdered sugar, almond extract, a splash of creamer, and almond milk with lots of ice cubes.
I've had it on two afternoons this week and yet still slept pretty well, so this may well be my favorite Summer of Global Warming Treat. Even more so than wine!
I pick up a load of stuff from Bubbie's apartment this afternoon, on my way back from Bryan. In advance of that, I gave the guest bathroom a freshening up, adding in some baskets for the boys (grown men) to keep their toiletries in.  For a little while, they will be housemates and home with me and I'm not really sad about that - I know it is a transition.
Eventually I will get the floors done in here and I plan on painting this tiny bathroom in a neutral color and adding a shower curtain like the one above.  But I'm not paying $60 for a shower curtain because that's dumb.
Going to learn a new craft.  But I might have to have The Girl coach me on it because I don't know what I'm doing, and she's done these.  I am really drawn to mandalas lately.
Well, the thing we feared the most happened.  After sailing through a mastectomy and recovery, with healthy heart and lungs, my mother suffered some sort of stroke and fell in her kitchen, banging her head against the floor, causing another bleed, this one traumatic, and a couple broken ribs.  She was found down hours later by a neighbor after we couldn't get ahold of her by phone for much of the day.  She's in a hospital in Bryan now, breathing on her own, slowing coming to, but confused at how she got there.  And now we have Big Decisions to make, so we are just going to take it one step at a time.
To say that this has not made me more of a friendly ray of sunshine is an understatement.  It has been a difficult two years and things are still going south. Yes, grief has changed the way I perceive and react to the world.  And this latest development makes me feel angry, edgy, ready to fight.  
I'm trying hard to behave myself, for my mother's sake.  Pinkie swear.


Gina

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I'm sorry about your mom! <3
-Wendy S

Mimirator said...

I followed your link over from Frugal Girl and just wanted to say, "I'm sorry, that really, truly, totally stinks!" Praying for grace and also space to howl when you need to, and that there will be little encouragements and rays of hope day by day.

WendyG said...

Both boys will be living with you? How wonderful. if so! After my husband died last July, mt daughter moved in. She is here about 50% of the time and that kept me company but also gave me space.

Joni said...

All I can say is OMG!
I'm sending this to you as someone sent it to me in a very dark time.

Let His peace flow over you like a river today,
and wash away anything that's not needed...for you will find rest
for your souls. He may surprise you with what He takes away,
and what He pours in, but you can be sure it's done with love,
and to help us walk in strength and grace.

I think it is awesome that the boys are bunking with you right now.
When you are feeling fighty, they can be your sounding board...priceless.

You're in my thoughts.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You have changes ahead of you. Probably involving yourself in a craft project is a good idea. I find craft projects very calming. On the other hand, if I find myself struggling to do them, that just adds a whole new dimension to my insanity. I hope you will update us on your punch needle project. This is something that has always interested me, but I’ve never tried.