Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Make it stretch - Fried Chicken!

 Last week I had such a craving for fried chicken.  You would think that in a city this size there would be lots of places to go for fried chicken - yes, but they aren't located near me.  So when a craving hits I have to drive several miles if I want fried chicken.  (I kinda sound like an old lady, huh?)  I ended up at Church's.
I bought the 12 piece legs and thigh box for $11.90.  Not a bad deal in my estimation, but way too much chicken for one person.  I ate three pieces of it for lunch (which was every bit of delicious), then deboned the rest, saving much of the crispy crackly parts.  The bones went into the crock pot for bone broth - and in the morning the house smelled amazing!!
I made three foil packets of chicken to freeze, not to mention all of that bone broth for future soups!
Then for lunch one weekend day, I opened a foil packet, heated it in the oven, then topped a green salad with chicken, red onion, and Caesar dressing.  For my next leftover fried chicken meal I will top hot mashed potatoes with corn, chicken, brown gravy, and colby jack cheese a la KFC Bowls.
Four take-out quality meals for about $3 each isn't bad, and a good way to stretch a huge haul of fried chicken!


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Yes! I get cravings for fried chicken as well. I have bought multi-piece containers of fried chicken and found it way too much for me. Your idea of using the bones for broth, and deboning it is a good one. I’m not sure why that didn’t occur to me. Let me tell you something funny that happened to me at the store yesterday. I was craving fried chicken, I decided to get myself a fried chicken meal from the deli. The guy first asked me if I wanted a one piece or a two piece meal. I told him a one piece meal would be perfect, to which he replied they don’t have one piece meals. Don’t get me started. Next, he asked me what sides I wanted and I told him mashed potatoes and broccoli. He asked if I wanted gravy on the mashed potatoes and I said yes. Why not? A girl has to treat herself, right? Well! I got home, opened up the container, and instead of putting broccoli on top of my mashed potatoes, he topped it with macaroni and cheese! True, it was creamy mac & cheese, but if that isn’t a starch-based redundancy, I don’t know what is.