Friday, September 30, 2022

5 thing Friday - my mechanic, Donut Plus, crockpot apples, clock radio, crafty pumpkin

I will get back to posting on Wednesdays one of these days...there's just been a lot going on lately and its hard for me to get to it!
******
Firstborn helped me with my battery issue on his day off...
He replaced the positive terminal, installed the battery, and something called the "mass air flow controller" after a short trip to Auto Zone.  He did his best and helped his scatter-brained stressed mom with a simple issue that she made worse with her panicking.  I am quite proud of him - he is a smart hard-working man who loves his family.
I stopped by a favorite donut shop in Bertram (Donut Plus)  - Mark and I often stopped here on the way to Highlands in the early morning.  The fact that they are open made the sign saying "WELCOME  OPEN TOMoRAW"  (sorry we're closed) funny.  I enjoyed a turkey pepper jack panini and a donut for my lunch, but what I really wanted was their Banh Mi sammie and they were out of pork belly.  Boo.
Another place to say goodbye to...
Mark loved the apple fritters and sausage kolaches, and I always got a cinnamon old-fashioned.  Time to find new places.  Not necessarily donut places.
The Girl was going to toss two past-their-prime apples and I snagged them to cook in my tiny crockpot with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  I served them over ice cream and it tasted like Fall.  I left the peel on and it was like candy - so good.  A frugal way to use wrinkly apples!
My college alarm clock/radio that Mark helped me pick it out at an electronics store in Austin, ca. 1983.  They sell on Ebay for around $15, but I wouldn't take a nickel for it, as my mother would say. For years it got me to life on time. It had lived in the unheated and unairconditioned pumphouse at Highlands for the last 5 years, tuned to the Marble Falls jazz station 24/7.  Now it lives on the vanity shelf in my closet and I love to see it.  
The Girl crocheted me a pumpkin which we named Josh after the winery name printed on the cork, ha ha. I gave him a glam gold and burlap ribbon and placed him near the front door so he can make me smile coming and going. 
Welcome, October!


Gina

No comments: