Monday, September 5, 2022

Empty Nest menu #135

 How do families even afford food nowadays?
My little One Person $50 a Week does not go far...
If I want to add something fun, it has to come out of the 50.  Toilet paper?  Out of the 50.  I had to take several things off of this grocery list and defer them until the next week's list.  Now mind you, I have juggled grocery monies before.  We were very poor and made many money mistakes when the first two kids were very small.  I could spend $75 a week back then to feed two adults and two toddlers, including tp, diapers and wipes, and other household supplies.  And I know that was 30 years ago.
But, holy cow, money does not go far in the grocery store now.
Scary times.


Monday - Sriracha Honey Chicken Thighs, skillet sweet potato cubes
Tuesday - Broccoli and Chicken Bowtie Parmesan, buttered corn
Wednesday - Greek Chicken Breast, twice baked, salad
Thursday - Black Bean and Veggie Taco Bowl {off - MHD and stuff to curb for bulky trash pick up}
Friday - Creamy grits and eggs with onions and peppers, toasted bun
Saturday - TBD {on call this weekend}
Sunday - Dinner with The Girl - she has requested a meal I used to make long ago, involving pork sausage and spinach wrapped in crescent roll dough (think empanadas) and butternut squash.  I'm also making these brownies. {1st Griefshare class 3-5 p.m.}


Gina

2 comments:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

You are not kidding! The price of food is just shocking. I try to hold it to $50 a week, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out that way. I do take advantage of sales, and, unlike you and your magnificent and varied menus, sometimes I will eat the same thing three days running. I’m always inspired by your choices.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about prices, especially being on Social Security. But I love how organized you are. You are an inspiration . 🙂 Karen