Friday, July 1, 2022

5 thing Friday - casseroles, orchids, Round Rock, anniversaries, Mark

 Note to self:
If you're craving a comfort casserole, just remember...you can make it, but you better halve the recipe or you will be eating it for far longer than you'd like to... That being said, I did so enjoy this mini version of Tater Tot Casserole made in my small cast iron skillet.
The Girl bought me an orchid under the incorrect assumption that I will not manage to kill it as I have the last two orchids I bought.  She can hope, but my track record is not good.  I do love the special pot she bought and she DID include spray orchid food and she DID pot it with special orchid dirt.
I met my sister for a beer last Sunday in beautiful old town Round Rock.
I don't know why Mark and I had never tried this place - it was quite nice.
The tiny old town area is all big sidewalks and antique buildings and it was maybe 10 minutes from my house down a couple of side roads I never use, thanks to the Google Lady.
There were art installations everywhere.  A pizza place I love, a cute coffee shop, several restaurants...I will definitely go back and bop around by myself sometime soon.  Its where I left these.
Yesterday marked the 15th anniversary of the opening of the hospital I work at.  Its kind of hard to believe its been 15 years - so much has happened in my life since then.  I started a blog.  I got all my kids out of high school, one out of college.  Bought some property, 2 RV's.  Finally stopped working weekends (after a total of 17 years) and had some major life changes.
Something other than a cookie might have been nice to get, but working in a hospital is like being in a strange land now, and most of us didn't have time to stop to reflect today, anyway.  We are too busy, too short staffed, and starting to get burned out.
Today marks the first day of a month last year that seems like it was yesterday.  We hadn't yet begun to really enjoy our summer together and were looking forward to the next weekend when we could finally relax, with no projects or pressing chores, just the two of us.  My wine buddy and love of my life.  We just ran out of time.  He literally signed off his computer at 4:30, made a glass of iced coffee, packed his weekend bag, and went to mow the yards.  The rest is a sad story.  I'm hoping I can focus on the future more when July is over.  The one year anniversary feels huge to me and I'm just going to take this month one day at a time and get through it as best I can.


Gina

3 comments:

Jane A said...

My husband of 39 years passed away on July 4 12 years ago, three weeks after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer. I still relive that time all those years ago, and likely always will. He was just 60 years old, and we still had many things we wanted to do. I so understand your thoughts today. I am thinking about you and wishing you the best. You'll get through it, but it's so hard sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I kept an orchid alive for awhile. Every Monday morning before going to work I would give it a tbsp of water....and was told that was all I should do.

Sending warm feels this month. <3

Wendy

Cathy W said...

I agree with Jane...
My husband passed away in November 2016 and that month is always hard as well as June (his birthday, father's day, our anniversary). I just know it's going to be hard and I get through it. Sometimes I ask my friends and family for extra support during those months. It changes some but it doesn't stop.

Thinking about you.