Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Cooking for one - Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Most of the time, when I plan menus for myself,  I cook smaller one-person versions of whatever I want to eat.  I don't want to eat leftovers for days and days...and that's usually what you get when you use a casserole recipe.  But since I had all of the ingredients for Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas:
...I figured I would just go ahead and make them, portioning out two servings for this week, and making packets of them for future meals:
Here they are, cooling so I can freeze them.  I will thaw the packet, open it, place it in the oven to heat, and serve it alongside a salad,  Easy dinner!  

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
1 1/2-2 cups shredded chicken
1 can green chile enchilada sauce
1/2 cup or more of sour cream (I used a bit more to finish off the container I had)
10 corn tortillas
2 c. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Heat the oven to 350. Grease a baking dish.  Soften the tortillas by buttering them a bit and heating in a hot skillet a minute or so each side.  Set them aside to cool for a minute or two while you mix the sauce with the sour cream until smooth.  Stir half a cup of it into the chicken and set the rest aside.  Roll a bit of the filling with a bit of grated cheese into each tortilla and place seam side down in the baking dish.  (You'll just have to judge how much filling by how many tortillas you have left as you go)  Pour the reserved sauce all over it and bake until hot and bubbly - 25 min or so.  Throw the rest of the cheese on top, set oven to broil, and cook another few minutes until the cheese on top is melted and slightly browned.  Cool a bit before cutting into it.
******

Yikes, I can't believe I had the oven on this week!  But I had a great dinner for work last night, will have some for lunch this week, and have two packets of it to look forward to when the weather cools.


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I do the same thing! For the most part, the frozen portion comes out tasting as delicious as when I first made it. I love a good casserole, and also like being able to take a couple of nights off from cooking by heading to the freezer!