Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Little project: bracing cabinet shelves

The top shelf of the kitchen island has had this sag happening: 
I had mentioned it to Hubby in the past, but neither of us ever did anything about it.  I'm sure it was caused by the sheer weight of stuff I had stored in here - a bunch of that stuff has been purged, hallelujah.
I went to the garage looking for wood I could cut to fit below the top shelf, vertically, and lo and behold found one.  I had to use a hand saw, but it was relatively easy.
Do you see it?  You wouldn't even know it was there, lurking behind the middle of the cabinet on both sides.
I pulled most of the things out to see if it was straight.  IT WAS. No sag!
I used some hair elastics to help keep cords together.  And I gave everything a really good wipe down.
Including the crock pot which had lime buildup from pots of beans.
Mostly removed by a little soak in white vinegar.
Everything got put back in an order that made sense to me.  I used a couple of small baskets and a tray for small items.  Nothing heavy on the top shelf.
There is lots of space down here and I aim to keep it that way.


Gina

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Nice work, it looks great! It's always so satisfying to clean up those spaces, isn't it? I usually give my island a complete overhaul in the fall (usually because in the past, I've had time then because my daughter has been back in school!). It never seems to stay nice as long as I would like, but it's lovely while it lasts! :)

Lynda in Iowa said...

Wow, inspiring! I'm really motivated by your project...plan to do this weekend.