Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Weekend re-cap: Chinese take-out, Christmas putseying, Highlands, snake!

We started off our weekend by getting take-out from our local Chinese restaurant before heading to Highlands.  Its been foreverrrr since we've had Chinese.
It isn't much to look at on the inside, but they do a rousing take-out business.  I almost never see anyone eating in there, just running in and picking up bags of food!  After we ate and I showered, we headed out.  We watched a movie at Highlands, fell asleep! in our chairs, and slept like babies with the windows open.  Ahhh....
On Saturday, Hubby made a pot of Mountain Man, then we putseyed.  I made a couple of Christmas crafts for the Barn, including this $1 sign.  I put up a small tree ($5) in a cute pot that I am covering with wine corks, and I bought a plant stand for it so it would be a little taller and off the floor.  Pics of it to come!  I also finished painting and I will show that soon, too.
The weather was perfect.
At lunch time we moseyed over to a place in the square that we have never tried, then shopped the square.  I had broccoli cheese soup, and he ate a chicken sandwich.  We both enjoyed it and decided we would come back again soon!
Hubby in particular is a big fan of onion rings and these were delicious.
We did some shopping in Marble Falls for projects around Highlands, then headed back in the late afternoon to hang lights.  And that's where things went slightly south...
As Hubby was working on the lights (at dusk) he almost stepped on this.
Look a little more closely...
Yes, its a rattlesnake.  Hubby quickly dispatched it with his shovel.  But it was a nerve-wracking 10 minutes or so and I had to run get the hatchet to help.  It looked full of mouse and since I noticed some shredded stuff in the storage unit, that meant that he was attracted to a food source.  Back to Lowe's to get some snake repellant and some mouse traps the next morning.  Next weekend, we will do a clean sweep of the barn and get rid of some clutter.  We will also have to greatly trim back a lot of the brush near the barn.  I knew I had smelled snake earlier in the day!
While at Lowe's the second time, we picked up more pavers to extend the patio.  Over time, they will weather and match the others.
Hubby finished hanging the lights along the upper edge of the barn - this will greatly help with visibility at night while not contributing to light pollution.  Then we sprayed snake repellant and treated for fire ants.  
We also extended the extra length of the lights to the front of the barn.  Its not fancy, but it is a sweet little spot to sit at dusk.  And we were so TIRED at that point that we did just that.  (you can see the bricks are still a little wet because we sprayed them down for ants earlier in the afternoon.)
Little by little, our tiny home Barn is coming along.
This Sunday: yard work!


Gina

1 comment:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

OMG...there is nothing that give me the quivers like a snake. Do you have many in your area? I picked your name to win the 4 napkin rings I made for the 10 on the 10th Blog Hop, so send me your address and I will mail them out to you! (ppultorak @ gmail (dot) com). And keep your eyes open for more rattlers, I have seen one garter snake in our yard in 11 years and I still hate doing anything in the bushes and landscaping! The frog I found hiding under my chives almost gave me a heart attack a few years back!!