Friday, November 6, 2020

5 thing Friday - Gus, Bubbie, cookies, cheese tray, tuna bowls

I think the photos this week are slightly out of order from when they actually happened, but I kind of feel like that's a metaphor for life lately...
I visited my mother last week and as usual, I noted the lack of cleanliness - bordering on filth - and it gave me pause.  My mother is fairly adamant about staying put in her house.  But her living conditions are not the best.  If it were just merely a little messy with chores to be done here and there, I wouldn't fret about this so much.  She is taking good care of Gus, so there's that.
After taking Bubbie to get his wrist casted, we stopped by a favorite Mexican restaurant in San Marcos that Hubby and I frequented in our college days.  It all looks much the same as it did 35+ years ago.
About all of the mothering I can do for Bubbie right now is feed him and get him to appointments.  Which maybe he can do for himself, too, but a little extra love to him is never a bad thing.  He may yet have to have surgery on it.
A popular cookie company in Austin delivered hundreds of mini boxes to the hospital and I snagged one.  Zero guilt.  I'm not a huge chocolate chip cookie fan - they are just OK - and I can make at home same same, but I could not say no to cookies during a stressful week. 
Lord, I'm ready for this year to end.
Long story short:  I bought a gift certificate to a local cheese shop intending for Hubby and I to use it for one of their cheesy bus tours or a class, then Covid hit and they closed all events.  I was tired of waiting for things to open back up, so I just ordered a meat and cheese tray for pick up last Friday and we snacked on it all weekend.  Some of it went into the freezer.  $100 worth of cheese and meat is a LOT for two people.  
This week's tuna "bowl" incarnation involves romaine, white beans, Albacore tuna, yellow bell pepper, purple onion, avocado, and feta.  Lo-cal and delish and easy to prep.  I think some variation of it will be in the menus at least every other week going forward.


Gina
 

No comments: