Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Easter 2020

Since the Cannarys are all still staying "socially" distant (is that even really a thing with your family members?), I devised a menu and a plan to take Easter dinner to my peeps that live in Austin.  {Since I couldn't include The Girl, I ordered her a pretty sussie to be delivered to her this week} 
I saw these lidded to-go food containers and thought they would be perfect for packaging up some goodies.  They are re-useable and less pricey than the Rubbermaid containers.
My plan also involved these insulated bags that I get in my Imperfect Foods boxes.
I made a list and headed to the store on Friday, then spent Saturday morning cooking up a storm.
I made enough food for 4 hungry people, with leftovers to spare.  After they cooled on the table, I stored them in the fridge and set about writing the instructions for heating them up. I included this letter: 

******
Happy Easter!

We miss all of you, but want you to be safe and keep “social distancing” for a little while longer – this too shall pass.  When all of this is done, we will plan a family get together with good food and good times.  Until then, please keep taking good care of yourselves!  On the menu today is:  BBQ Pork Chops, Arkansas Green Beans, Honey Carrots, and rolls.  Please enjoy some Strawberry Wine, too!  Heat the containers gently in the microwave, venting the covers.  The containers can be re-used; wash on top rack of dishwasher.  Here are the recipes if you like the dishes:

BBQ Pork Chops (these are stewed in a skillet)
Brown some pork rib chops in a little oil, medium heat, seasoning both sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.  The first time you turn them over, add one onion, chopped to the skillet.  While you wait for the second side to brown, mix up a cup or so of ketchup with worchestershire, mustard, brown sugar, and a little BBQ sauce.  (or you can just use BBQ sauce by itself!)  Pour that over the chops and stew for about 45 minutes on low, covered, until meat is very tender.

Arkansas Green Beans (half the recipe if you don't want a ton of leftovers)
Put 5 cans of drained green beans in a casserole dish.  Mix up 2/3 c. brown sugar, ½ stick of melted butter, 7 t. soy sauce, 1 ½ t garlic powder and pour over the beans.  Cook 7 slices of bacon and chop up; stir into the beans.  Cook on the stovetop, covered, until hot and bubbly, stirring now and then.  (this time I used frozen beans so I cooked them longer.  I cooked the bacon covered in the microwave for about three minutes, then chopped it up)

Honey Carrots
Peel and slice one pound of carrots.  Add to a covered saucepan with a couple tablespoons butter, a couple tablespoons honey, salt, pepper, maybe a little ginger or cinnamon.  Cook on low, stirring every now and then until carrots are tender.

 We love you very much,


Mom and Slap Daddy Mac (aka Dad)
******
On Sunday morning I packaged up the meal containers, a bottle of Strawberry wine, some Easter candy, and a pretty cross ornament.  Then we headed over to their respective apartments for the drop off - "Meals on Wheels" remarked Firstborn.  We chatted a little out in the parking lot at each one's place, then headed home to Bubbie home for the day.  (how you gonna say no to a 21 year old with no where to go but home on Easter?)
The three of us enjoyed a delicious meal of pork roast, loaded mashed potatoes, honey carrots, rolls, and honey butter.  We capped it off with a small white wine port.  It was a very different Easter.  There hasn't been just three of us since Easter of  1991.  
And since I was also on call for the day, and we couldn't go anywhere, it made me feel a little blue.  But better times are coming.  And I'm hoping next Easter will be different.


Gina

No comments: