Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Crockpot Lentil Soup

I've mentioned lentil soup before, but I never included a real recipe.  For me, lentil soup was one of those things that I just made up as I went along.  As long as I had enough liquid and water, add a few veggies, it all worked out.  I remember we had an Italian babysitter our first summer in Galveston - she would make this soup and it was like a warm hug.  Even in June we loved it.
I found a recipe to act as a kind of framework for a really good pot of soup, and while I know it isn't exactly soup weather, we could all use a little comfort right now.  Not to mention that it was a thrifty meal that will serve us several times and almost always tastes better the next day or two!
So here is what you do:
Goodbye, crockpot, I have to go to work...

Crockpot Lentil Soup
4 c. broth*
1 can diced tomatoes, juice and all
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 medium celery stalk, chopped (I used the leaves, too!)
1 c. dry lentils (I had Red Crimson)
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. salt
1 T. ketchup
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. each cumin and paprika
{Oh yes - I also added a cup or so of some chopped ham, but feel free to either leave out meat, or add whatever you like.  Link sausage, smoked turkey, etc.  All good!}
Dump everything into the crockpot and cook on low for at least 10 hours.  Fish out the bay leaf and serve soup with some rolls or garlic toast.  Freezes well.
*For the "broth" - I had plenty of juice left from a pork roast I cooked the day before, so I saved it for this soup.  But I also had some chicken stock in the fridge, and those two things combined was 4 cups of liquid.  Use whatever you have!  Crockpot soup can be a little bit different every time you make it.  Maybe you'll have green lentils.  Maybe no celery.  Use purple onion instead of white or yellow.  Try Rotel instead of plain tomatoes. Don't sweat it if you leave the cumin out.  Its going to be delicious either way.
Like a hug in a bowl.


Gina

*shared with 
Miz Helen's Country Cottage

3 comments:

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

This looks so wholesome and delicious. A true bowl of goodness. #fullplatethursday

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

YUMMMMM!!! I haven't made lentil soup in years and this sure sounds yummy! It's still soup weather in the Midwest as it's been rainy and chilly for weeks. I have split pea soup on the menu for tonight but lentil will be next (I have ham left from our Easter dinner in the freezer). Thanks for sharing (I love soup ANY time of the year too!).

Miz Helen said...

Your Crockpot Lentil Soup looks delicious, wish I had a serving right now. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
Miz Helen