Friday, November 1, 2019

5 thing Friday: firepits, Highlands, 7 Creeks, Scout, Fairweather

Happy November!
'tis the season of firepits:
Its just about my favorite thing out at Highlands.  Normally we burn oak, but I have also discovered that I lurve the smell of cedar - so aromatic.  A firepit, a glass of wine, some deer wandering through...so peaceful.
The barn is mostly empty with assorted gear going into the newly built storage shed.  Step two of this on-going project is to replace the nasty insulation, then build out the interior walls.  After that, we will floor it.  Then we can get a new A/C and heater combo installed.  Stay tuned.
 
We had a nice weekend at Highlands and its always hard to leave.  The weather warmed up to an early summerish temp and besides moving stuff out of the barn we got some yard work done, enjoyed a firepit, and enjoyed a couple of great meals. 
 
Now that Fall is here, I think we should remove the bird nests near Mabel.  When we arrived Friday night, a very confused Bewick's wren was flying around in here.  They don't migrate, but I don't want them thinking this area is a habitat!
We enjoyed a relaxing and breezy hour or so at 7 Creeks Vineyard on our way home to make birthday dinner for Scout and Dutch.  The wine is fabulous and the owners are so friendly.  Side note:  how is it possible that my little goblin is 24?
Sweetest boy, it makes my heart swell with love and longing for one more day with you as a toddler.  You have grown up to be a caring, kind, and loving man.
Still working on that Fairweather piece for Texas Wine Lover.  Just having a time of connecting with the owner.  I will keep visiting the cidery...all in the name of journalism...until I can snag him for a few minutes to chat! And this cider called "Grape Situation", brewed with grenache skins,  is my new fav!


Gina

No comments: