Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Healthier Pork Chops

{You'll have to forgive the lack of mag-worthy pics here.  Its never going to happen..}
 You know how when you buy a big package of mixed pork chops there are always the ugly ones* on the bottom?  They taste good when you cook them, they just aren't pretty.  Well, I cooked some of them up last week and got creative!
The Girl had brought a package of foo-foo lentils and barley from Central Market home to me.  Now while that isn't something I regularly buy, I do have to say that it was a great meal shortcut.  I didn't take a photo of the package, but here is the link.
 Yes!  I have a pink fry pan!
I sauteed some leftover chopped fresh onion and tomato from taco night the day before, added in some mixed greens and a splash of chicken stock and a dab of Greek salad dressing and let it simmer, then added in my lentils and barley.  I also had some leftover charro beans and a baggie of black beans in the freezer, so in they went.  I set the pre-seasoned and browned chops on top and cooked, covered, until they were tender.  
I think this is more or less a method - not really a recipe.  And guess what?  Two other picky eaters cleaned their plates!  It was a great dinner shortcut that was one pan, plus it was loaded with veggies and grains.  A very nice change of pace and maybe one I will add in to the menus more often.




*Speaking of ugly, I just recently signed up for Imperfect Produce to be delivered to me once a week!  I'm excited for us to up our veggie intake.

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Imperfect Produce? I actually like that idea! I don’t think we have anything like that in this area, but I always enjoy the challenge of having to create with what’s at hand. I look forward to seeing what you do.