Monday, July 15, 2024

Monday menus #80

One day last week, I decided I had had it in the kitchen and I needed a break. Is it because the boys eat too much, or waste food, or they make messes, or don't like my cooking? No. I simply want to be in charge of shopping for and feeding myself only.
I just don't want to cook that much anymore.  There's zero fun in it.  And yes, I know its not supposed to be a fun leisure activity, but I am weary of everything it involves, whether they assist me or not.  So, I'm simplifying the menus to accommodate me only.  All I ask is that they don't use the big oven, unload and reload the washer more often, and be mindful of the limited space in the fridge/freezer/pantry (don't stock up, in other words).

Monday - kitchen closed {eating a packed dinner at work}
Tuesday - Salmon, brown rice, onions and peppers {Gina on call}
Wednesday - Grilled Chicken Salad - fresh Peach Pie a la mode for dessert! {Gina on call}
Thursday - K-Mart Sub (make an extra one for Saturday)
Friday - Chinese Take-Out (leftovers for Sunday) {meet with dietician}
Saturday and Sunday - kitchen closed


Gina

3 comments:

Joni said...

I feel your pain! Sometimes and break with thoughtful reflection is just what is warranted. A reset. I started making 2 meals per week with thoughtful reimagining of leftovers for the remainder of the week. It brings grumbles, but my ears do not hear it.

If our spouses were still with us, our empty nest living would be entirely different. It is "just" to remember this. I applaud you!

Joanne said...

I find this time of year I rarely want to cook; though I can enjoy it as a process in fall and winter I'd just rather be out doing other things when the weather is nice. We definitely eat simpler things and far more leftovers in the summer!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Imagine, over the course of a lifetime, just how many meals we have planned and made. It really gets old, doesn’t it? I was thinking the other day that I probably ate better, and at more regular hours when my husband was alive than I do now. I find that one day a week I’m keenly interested in cooking and baking something, but on the other six I’m just not having it. Fortunately, on that one day, I try to do enough cooking for the week.