Friday, April 26, 2024

5 thing Friday - patio ceiling, potted plant, yard, tots, keys

 One of my favorite things about the patio now is the underside of the patio roof:
I asked the guy to paint it "Glazed Granite" by Glidden.
Its not black, not grey, not blue...but in different lights it is all of those.
I removed the giant hook that was screwed up here next to the light, and although I don't like that light all that much, it seems more camoflaged up here now.  Its amazing what the dark, moody ceiling of the patio lends to this area now.  
Its very zen and I love it.  And I think I will hold off on adding the tiny white lights along the inside edge for now.  When we get some sunnier days I will post a pic of the whole patio.  This area has had quite the transformation since Mark died.  I got rid of a storage unit, BBQ grill, and giant firewood harp, as well as a bottle opener screwed onto one of the posts, and the clothesline.
As I was bringing my plants back out, I noticed that the dracena kept falling over - it had outgrown its pot.  I viciously pulled a fake plant (that was always covered in dust) out of this very heavy and tall glazed pot and gave the real one a new home.  I already had the potting soil so it was an essentially free upgrade.
(see the rust stains where the firewood harp was?  I cannot get those out, and yes I have tried CLR)
I was determined to just SIT in my backyard this week, any time there was sun out.  I am so pleased with how the yard and the patio are looking heading into summer.  Fence repaired, house painted, yard mowed, and right next to my lounge chair you can peep my fig tree coming back to life.
I've been eating in for lunch all week, just making it up as I go along.  This plate of crispy rounds (which are like tots) have a bit of leftover pico, two random slices of cheese, two fried eggs, and a squiggle of Chik-Fil-A sauce.  And it was delightful.
Mark must have had eleventy billion keys on various key rings.  I found ONE key that went to something I still own (it was a spare mailbox key!), so the vintage ones went into my craft stash, and the others I will hold onto for 5 more years.  Then they get recycled.  Ugh.  Cue crying.
Speaking of keys, the turn around time on James Avery repairs is so fast, and they made the sentimental keyring look like new.  I bought this for Mark 8 1/2 years ago for our 30th anniversary and he proudly moved his keys to it and carried it every day.  I'm sure I will also cherish it for many years.


Gina

3 comments:

Joni said...

The patio looks beautiful!
Oh man, I have found so many keys! Rounds and rounds of them. I also have found locks, so they are all in the same box and will be a nice project to do while sitting under the tree with a cold tea. I have a feeling most of them came from my Grandpa's farm or the many small logging jobs my dad worked on over the years.
I like the idea of some crafts...

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Zen is what I’m going for on my deck this summer, which is why I’m going to try to add a pergola. I love your idea of hanging those white lights, because I thought about that too. I’m just looking for serenity. I’m looking forward to seeing how you progress with your new spot this year. I don’t know what to tell you about those rust spots. Surely there’s something that would get it up, but who knows what?

Kim said...

I'm so glad you're pleased with the key ring, I always get nervous with repairs. They just don't make things like they used to and sometimes customer service is spotty. It's nice to know you had a good experience. Your patio update looks fabulous. I love a painted ceiling, I haven't had the guts to try it yet, but wow, it's very dramatic and interesting. Looks like the perfect place to relax and unwind on a warm day. Enjoy it!